#12 of the season but she had a death wish!

bushpilotmexico

Hey guys,

Not to much to brag about on this one but here is the story. I was up early to check out the carcass, you'll remember I've taken 4 yotes off the carcass over the last week or so.

Anyway to make a long story even shorter nothing showed up, I called then for about 15 minutes but again a big zero.

Visitors coming for Easter weekend so I decided to win some brownie points and head back home around 6:30 am to help the wife (this strategy works every once in a while!)

Half way home this yote crosses the road in front of me at a slow walk. I slow down and continue driving as the road continues downhill with a fairly high bank on each side. Scratching my head and wondering what's the best attack I decide at least to do a U turn and head back up hill.

By this time I figure the yote will be long gone but as I look ahead she is on my side of the shoulder of the road looking back in the direction she came from, almost as if she is expecting company. Anyway she sees me driving up the road and turns back, I lose sight of her because of the high bank. As I approach the area where she disappeared I look to my right and there she is about 50 yards away just looking at me! I pull over to the side of the highway, hop out of the Pathfinder, chamber a round and the stupid thing, although she is now about 75 yards away, just keeps looking in my direction BIG MISTAKE!

I looked thru the scope almost expecting to see a dog collar and squeezed off an off hand shot. Hit her where I was aiming and she dropped like a stone.

Blood on the Pathfinder again and still sporting my blue gloves.

Picture002-34.jpg

Good job. I dont get that lucky very often. Around here if a vehicle stops the coyote hits overdrive with a turbo boost.

I may have missed this but, what's up with the blue gloves?

Your story really doesn't surprise me. I have actually been parked on the side of the road, tailgate down getting ready to walk into the brush to make a stand and have a coyote trot right down the middle of the road towards me. Like all canines, there is probably a level of curiousity in play.

I've also have been on a stand getting situated before calling and have had a coyote walk right into me. You would think that they would develop a fear of vehicles but I guess there is always an exception, but I'm not all too surprised to have a coyote come into to me, or at least not run off when I'm either walking into a stand or getting setup. I don't think it is an absolute that a coyote will always see a hunter as a danger sign, maybe (since we're usually camo'd up) they think you are a deer or livestock?

When I get this all figured out it'll be time to move on to another sport, maybe quilting
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WyoYoteI may have missed this but, what's up with the blue gloves?

I usually put on the blue vinyl gloves when handling a dead yote, especially if I skin it out or take the tail for a trophy. Some PM members have picked up on it and they kind of have become my trademark so to speak.

I agree with you always expect the unexpected. 99% of the times around here, as well, when a vehicle stops the yote takes off at a dead run that's why I was so surprised to have that female hang around.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Good job. I dont get that lucky very often. Around here if a vehicle stops the coyote hits overdrive with a turbo boost.

Usually before the vehicle stops, about the time you even start to slow down!
tongue_smilie.gif

i had to look really close at your rifle the camo sleve blends in real good with your pants and the ground it almost looks like a snub nose rifle lol. good shooting.

Back