Speaking of carp...

If you just ease the barrel about halfway into the water real slow and pull the trigger, you don't even have to actually hit them. The concussion knocks them out and they just float to the surface. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bowfishing is pretty big in my neck of the woods.

I love it!

I proably would like do do it Crocodile Dundee fashion too, but the costs would proably be prohibitive.

Maybe a topic called water varmints would gain some attention in the summer.

I have heard that a sixteen gauge slug works well in shallow water.

Some good ideas on blowing up a barrel here.

How about some different split patterns depending on how far it is in the water?

Jack

Originally posted by Jack Roberts:
[qb]Some good ideas on blowing up a barrel here.

How about some different split patterns depending on how far it is in the water?

Jack[/qb]
HUH??? I keep trying to figure it out but I must admit, I am very confusified Jack. What are you talking about?

I heard your supposed to use a pitchfork...

ANYWAY....

to add some seriousness here...

Bowshooting carp is a hella good time. Nothing like seeing your arrow S T R E E A A K K K... across the shallow-flat of a sand bar, right after sticking one...

My biggest bow-shot carps have been 14 1/4 and 14 3/4 lbs (15lbs was Master Angler, so I had them weighed proper)

How about you guys ?

Robb,

I have never done it but I do have one heck of a great spot. It is just below a small dam in a river out where I go dove hunting. It is public land but obviously no one has ever tried it there because I can see several carp in the 15" to maybe even 30" range. Can they really get that big? Maybe they only look that big but either way they are gigantean looking to me. I have already cleared permission with the Division of Wildlife. I need someone to teach me a bit. Maybe I can just go the archery shop and ask for the bow-fishing setup. Problem is, I only have a hunting bow. If I drop it to 50 lb.. will it still be to much? It is a 60 lb. BlackMax. How much can you drop the weight? What if I shoot them from above the dam (20 yard shot or so)? Help Help Help please. I got the itch!

Loco, only a hunting bow??? Well, as far as i know, they don't make a fishing bow.

USE IT!!!

Keep it cranked at 60 lbs--- you'll be shooting a solid fiberglass arrow (heavy!!) and trailing something like 80lb test braided line.

20 yard shot is do-able.

Bowfishing setup is the arrow, barbed head, line, and some sort of spool-- either open-faced or a saltwater closed-faced reel (like a Zebco 808). Either will attach to your stabilizer insert on the front of your riser.

Just watch your line before you shoot-- nothing like getting a hang-up and seeing that arrow rebounding right back at you!!

Jack, I actually saw someone do that once. It was in the All-American Canal near the Salton Sea. The guy stuck about 4 inches of barrel into the water and squeezed one off. Not only did the barrel split but it split at an expansion. The barrel looked like a snake that just swallowed a pig. Not only that, but the gun launched out of the water and the butt hit him in the right side. It knocked the wind out of him and gave him a huge black and blue mark. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few broken ribs as well. Said he was a first time quail hunter.

I have this trick Jug thing called "The Retriever", they sell it at Cabela's and most Archery Shops... about 50$ almost 0 resistance coming out of the jug.

bwf-116.gif

My first time out (I was like 16 at the time) I tried one of those really basic spools that they sell for 15$... My third shot with it I had the line wrap around my wrist. Wasnt pretty.

Carp can get up around 45lbs and then some... most of what Ive shot have been 12-24" L

Originally posted by Encore:
[qb]Loco, only a hunting bow??? Well, as far as i know, they don't make a fishing bow.
[/qb]
I was thinking along the lines of something with a little less juevos. But heck, I think you are right about using what I have. Maybe using it will be extra practice for the mammals.

There are a lot of bullfrogs around too. Do you think my BlackMax is powerful enough?!?!

Hmm I wonder if speargun tips can be rigged to an arrow? The tips are barbed and many are a tethered breakway design so the tip seperates from the base attached to the arrow. A cable keeps the two connected so the arrow/shaft isn't lost. There is a tie-off point at the base that can be run to a float line limiting the depth a fish can go down to if ya don't hit him where it counts and he tries to run. This tie-off point can be used to connect to a reel or whatever is used for retaining them.

One thing, when viewing an object in water rember that it appears 25% larger than what it really is because of the bending of light caused when going from water to air. A good example of this is slipping on a mask and looking at a soda/beer can while under water. Bud cans instantly become Fosters sized cans.

Well, then, check the classifieds or the archery shops for a used cheap recurve.

Consider if you will be wading, because a longer bow like a recurve is harder to shoot without dipping the tip in the water.

BlackMax is a single-cam, isn't it? Yep, those are trash against bullfrogs, absolutely no good.
Respect your quarry, Locobean, and pursue with adequate firepower. You have no business shooting bullfrogs with a BlackMax compound. You will not get sufficient penetration.
Oh, BlackMax is fine for carp and buffalo fish, but definitely not powerful enough for bullfrogs.

Do you guys skin your carp and use the hide? Carpskin coats, hats, etc.?

In all seriousness, what do you do with them after they're arrowed? Pitch 'em in the desert for the coyotes, use 'em for catfish chum, what? I always wondered about that.

It's legal to arrow bullfrogs here, but not at night. Not quite sure why not, maybe they're afraid you'll use it as a cover for spotlighting ducks or something?

Carp make for great Fertilizer !

I have given them to people when they ask. If your going to put them back for turtle/catfish food... Be sure to take a knife and POP the gas bladder, thatll keep them from floating to the top.

When I was doing Fisheries field work, we used that technique on all non-game fish captured, as well as game fish that "volunteered" for Gut-sampling or had otherwise expired. (Not Allowed to Keep any Flesh other than for preserving as a whole sample in Formalin)

Another little factoid: Carp arent Native to the Americas... brought over by German Immigrants in the late 1800's as a prized delicacy food item. Carp are now found in almost every waterway in North America.

THOSE DANGED GERMANS, THEY WERE OUT TO GET US EVEN BACK THEN!!!!

Hey, Robb, what kind of compensation or reward would a fish get for volunteering for gut sampling?
That like a health program for fish?
"Hey, Holy Mackerel (pardon the pun) little sunfish, but you need to be hitting the gym, looking a tad paunchy there about the midsection. May I suggest the Abdominizer?"

Or the Richard Simmons (or is that Richard Salmons?) new video to fish health: Swimmin' to the Oldies.
"Let's get those fins in the air, ladies, that's right, work it, work it, come on, feel the rhythm, Oh, don't you feel so good? Keep it up, keep it up, I'm SOOO proud of you!!"

Originally posted by Encore:
[qb]Gollll dang, who's the stud in this picture with the TRIPLE?????
(yeah, i know, i've posted it before...)

fdd0a583.jpg
[/qb]
I'm having a hard time differentiating the carp and the fisherman....give me a clue.

Back