Stock Choice - Thumbhole or Standard Sporter?

It's all just a matter of taste. I don't care for thumbholes of any persuasion. Try some and see what works for you.

My favorite stock is the McMillan Rem Mountain Rifle stock, which is an exact copy of the Remington stock.

The Bell and Carlson "TI" stocks are good if you're on a budget and they are very lightweight. I'm running 3 of them now and while they aren't a McMillan in stiffness/quality they don't come with the McMillan price tag. I snagged my last one for 130$/shipped, used of course. New they are around 200$.

For me the bottom line is the fit and feel of the stock. And the TH stock just fits and feels better. I definitely shoot all my rifles with TH's considerably more accurately than I do my non-TH stocked rifles. I have better control of the rifle with a TH stock. I definitely shoot considerably better from an off handed position with TH stocks. So I say TH all the way.

Some people say they can not work their action fast enough with a TH stock?? I have not noticed any "real" difference in that. And others say you can't shoot the rifle with the off hand. And that is also incorret. Most modern TH's are designed with a slimmer stock that easily allows off handed shoting. Mine do.

I have TH's on my lighter deer rifles, as well as my heavier varmint rigs. Tom.

stock005.jpg

033.jpg

022.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Last edited:
I Have only one rifle with a thumb hole stock, a Savage 93 in 17HMR. I like it better for shooting Sage Rats from a portable bench. I think it gives me better trigger control.

DAB

#4 is a stock made by Manner's. According to my smith they are every bit what a McMillan stock is. Just without the extra payment for the name. Manners is getting a very good name in the industry. Just ask around a little bit. You will get some good information on Manner's. Tom.

I ran a Manners T2 for quite awhile. Thomas Manners gave some of us a very good deal when he first came out with it. He just wanted to get some out there and get some feedback on it. It is every bit as stiff as the McMillan's are. The only thing I didn't like (and its just a personal thing) is the paint compared to the gelcoat. Compared to a painted McM its same/same. But now Manners are offering a Gelcoat finish. Their wait times are about the same as the McMillans, their prices are almost the same as well. Manners is 475$+shipping, an A5 is just about the same.

I can go either way. I have owned several thumbholes over the years, but don't own one now.
If I was to suggest one it would be for target and varmint use. I wouldn't have one on a light rifle for stalking use...but thats just me.

I have both types and can go either way, but the standard configuration sporter is quicker and more natural for me on follow up shots. With enough practice you can get used to almost anything. Shooting from the bench or a rest, I prefer the thumbhole. Heavy recoiling rifles seem a bit more manageable with the thumbhole, but they don't carry as easy for me.

Originally Posted By: SodakJimI have both types and can go either way, but the standard configuration sporter is quicker and more natural for me on follow up shots.

I agree. I think the standard stocks are often stronger as well. I've seen a couple thumbhole stocks crack in the areas having less wood. I'm sure that's probably not much of an issue with a well designed thumbhole though.

Last edited:
Personally, I love the general feel of a thumbhole assuming that it fits the hand decently. BUT, i can't get past the inefficiency of having to completely ungrip the rifle in order to take the safety off with said thumb. Not a big deal for a bench rifle I guess but I'm more of a hunter and I hate the motion that is needed. The standard encore grip seems to bridge the gap between these pretty well but I've never had the pleasure of shooting one of those yet.

Originally Posted By: BLUE_CANPersonally, I love the general feel of a thumbhole assuming that it fits the hand decently. BUT, i can't get past the inefficiency of having to completely ungrip the rifle in order to take the safety off with said thumb. Not a big deal for a bench rifle I guess but I'm more of a hunter and I hate the motion that is needed. The standard encore grip seems to bridge the gap between these pretty well but I've never had the pleasure of shooting one of those yet.

Good points Blue Can. Too bad you didn't post this sooner! LOL

I received a Boyds lightweight thumbhole yesterday and mounted it up. Not overly happy with it. Finish and fit are fine (will require some work to float the barrel) but the grip is small and the foreend is wide and flat. You're right, no way to disengage the safety without removing my hand from the grip. Unfortuantly I talked to boyds today to see about shipping it back to get a Classic instead. This is what I was told:

- The foreend on the stock is the same on both the classic and the lightweight thumbhole. Wide and flat. Fine for bipods and bags, not so great for off-hand shooting.
- To return it for an exchange it would be a 12% restocking fee.
- I have to pay $15 shipping for the new stock.
- I have to pay shipping for the return of the thumbhole stock.

Over all, it would cost me about 1/2 the price of a new stock to make the exchange. Not a very pleasant thought. I'll just have to eat it and deal with it.

CB

Back