Alternative to Ballistic Gel

GrizleyHunter

What can a guy use to see bullet performance with out using ballistic gel.It does not need to reproduce body flesh I just want a reference or guide line to the bullet expansion.

You can always hang a Ham or side of beef for short term testing... However, Ballistic Gel can be melted and re-used..over and over...

Wet phone books. The bigger the better. After shooting them, peel the layers and get your bullet back. Measure your distance of travel too.

Soaked newspapers magazines work ok but your left with a mess afterwards.

I like to use milk jugs lined up and filled with water now.

Soaked phone books work awesome and you can fire several shots into them. HP's expand perfectly. Water jugs work fine too but you need a lot of them.

Phone books are decent (make sure they are wet or you will just end up with a messy confeti party)
whistle.gif
trust me i know that one

Ive seen guys on youtube fill milk jugs with news paper then water. But they had to line up 7+.

Find someone with an in ground swimming pool 10-12 feet deep. Use a ladder and shoot straight down. Depending on the cartridge you may get wet. The recovered bullets will indicate performance at tag-your-it distances. Very hard to test the velocity at 200-300 yards unless your actually shot at that distance.

Good luck

Jerry

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to find some thick books somewhere,how thick do you think it needs to be for 243 wssm at 100yds.The two bullets I want to check are 70gr blitzking and 85 gr nozler partition.

BuckeyeSpecial

Yes I am sure they have been tested alot and both proven to be good at their intended use.
I would like to have one of each that I have shot and be able to look at the results after I have put them in action.
I think it would just be neat to examine and fondle them after the test.
I try to save any bullet I can retrive from game that I have taken and also put that bullet on the mounts along with the spent shell,it looks neat.

You'll need about at least a foot, maybe little more just to make sure you catch em and dont waste the paper you have for nothing...

Newspaper is actually pretty rough on bullets...

jugs are nice, but you need a lot of them.

It would be nice to get ballistic gellatin at a price us middle class citizens could afford, jesus.

You could get a big wad of Duct Seal compound, I've seen people use that succesfully.

It may be kind of expensive now, though. You can mash it back together and use it pretty much forever, though, since it never hardens.

Milk jugs work great. I lined up 5 or 6 of them when I was compairing 44 mag to 460 rowland. Limitied reusablity if your quick.

I once tried .44 target load, with lead bullet through three Atlanta phone books. The books or a block and brick wall didn't stop the bullet. Don't think it made it to my neighbors house. Was scared to look for a long time. No more load development in the basement. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Back