Tikka T-3 30-06 or .270?

TripleDeuce660

Thinking I would like to try some Boar hunting here in CA. I was considering maybe a T-3 in .270 or 30-06. Thinking 30-06 has a better selection of ammo since I don't reload. I love my t-3 in .223 and I'm thinking I'd set it up with the same 1.5-5x20 vx3. Makes sense to me from a cheap practice view point.

Also this is going to be in the lead free zone so ammo is a big concern.

What do you guys think about this set up for boar? Some day I might like to use it for deer/elk/black bear.

Or maybe I should just get a stevens 200 or savage edge/axis since I probably will shoot the gun very little?

Last edited:
personally i would do the tikka over the savage edge and the stevens 200. i like quality guns. i would do the 30-06. it will be plenty of gun for your boar hunts.

My first post on this board!

I own a 270 and a 30.06 and I would say buy the 30.06. As you
mentioned the selection of ammo for the 30.06 can not be beat.

As far as the brand of rifle, I would go with the Tikka, nice
rifle. I do not have any experience with the Savage or Stevens
200, but I own a Howa 1500 in 30.06 and can only recommend it.

Paul

The Tikka is worlds ahead of the Savage in the quality department. Both calibers are pretty much equal, but I'd probably go with the 30-06 for the factory ammo options if I weren't a handloader.

i bought a Tikka 30-06 last year. very accurate right out of the box. Started out with the cheapest ammo I could find and was getting on average about .75" with core lokt and Federals. Best results were with Federal Power shok 180 grain @ .45". I ended up using the factory rings but they are not the best. Plan on getting the dead nutz 1pc this year.

Originally Posted By: JTBThe Tikka is worlds ahead of the Savage in the quality department. Both calibers are pretty much equal, but I'd probably go with the 30-06 for the factory ammo options if I weren't a handloader.
This guy knows what he is talking about.
Savages show accuracy but are not built for quality. They are built like a soviet tank.
Look closely at the safety lever and the trigger. Is this well built?
I would prefer a 270 for deer but since you included elk the 30-06 would be superior.
I know that Savage bolt action rifles are like a religion on this site but quality speaks for itself. Go with the Tika.

I've been giving serious thought to getting a 270 myself. I have looked at a Tikka and a Sako A7. Both looked pretty nice. Not too happy with all the plastic but I am looking for a light rifle. I won't buy another Savage, been there, done that several times.

If the T3 were still built in Finland it would be a no-brainer, but since they are now built in Italy by Beretta, I would have to pass. A Sako built Tikka would be a good buy if you can locate one. I believe Harvey7 has summed up Savage quite nicely, out of the box accuracy, absolutely, quality piece, um... no. My choice for an affordable rifle would be a Rem SPS, and the 30-06 is hard to beat for versatility. In a lead free zone, the Barnes TSX is showing some good results, I have not personally used them however.

Originally Posted By: j.hennesIf the T3 were still built in Finland it would be a no-brainer, but since they are now built in Italy by Beretta, I would have to pass.

Tikkas are still built in Finland. Beretta owns Sako/Tikka, but the Sako/Tikka's are still made in Finland. Excellent rifles.

As for the 270/30-06 debate, I own both. The 30-06 is more versatile, but with a Barnes TSX on it, either would suffice for most anything on our continent.

I shoot a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 and it's a tack driver. I shoot 1/2 inch or less on a daily basis with just a bipod. It kicks pretty good, sitting at a bench after 20 rounds it's a little sore on the shoulder but I don't own or have ever shot a 30-06, my only experience is with the 270. A 270 will take down basically any north american game animal within reason (bullet choice, shot placement). I dropped my antelope at 200 one shot through the heart and lungs. But my vote is either one, I would suggest the 270 just because that's what I shoot.

NICE JOB ON CHECKING OUT TIKKA! THEY ARE GREAT RIFLES!

Tikka is owned by SAKO, built in Finland and imported to the USA by beretta. By the way I have blown up my bolt shroud on my t3 with a hot load, called beretta and with-in four days I had a new one in my mailbox.

Yeah my tikka has been good to me I guess I should just stick with it.

I did see an aluminum aftermarket bolt shroud. I guess the shroud is a weak point in the gun.

Perhaps I am guilty of passing along bad information. I love Sako's and was seriously looking at the Tikka until a gun shop salesman 'informed' me of the Beretta subject. I do see that the Beretta Tikka T3 badged rifle may be (not definitive) made in Italy in a Beretta shop. If indeed I am wrong and T3s are still built in Finland, then by all means I apologize and would heartily reccomend the gun. Northern European steels are the pretty much the gold standard and their manufacturing is also. My distaste for Beretta is primarily due to the lack of quality in their handguns.

unless it changed in the last 12 months then it should drive tacks just like my other tikka I would think.

I was a little unhappy when my beretta 390 standard had a barrel from stoeger turkey on it. The older ones where italy. Either way it works great.

Back