Dog Bites Gator, Saves Woman, Wins Award

d2admin

Administrator
Dog Bites Gator, Saves Woman, Wins Award
Thu Apr 4, 8:53 AM ET

MIAMI (Reuters) - A Florida dog who fought an alligator to protect an elderly woman was honored for his loyalty with a "Dog Hero of the Year" award.

Two-year-old Blue, an Australian blue heeler from LaBelle, saved Ruth Gay from the gator and survived numerous injuries, said the organizers of the annual Heinz Pet Products award, which was announced in Pittsburgh.

Gay, 85, was taking the dog for an evening walk along a canal behind her house last July when she slipped on wet grass and fell, breaking her nose and dislocating a shoulder. Blue lay at her side while she called for help.

Suddenly the dog growled and ran off into the darkness -- sensing an alligator that had climbed out of the canal about 50 feet away, apparently attracted by Gay's calls.

Blue fended off the reptile despite suffering numerous puncture wounds to his stomach and when Gay's daughter and son-in-law arrived home about an hour later, led them to where she was lying.

"I heard the alligator and Blue fighting, and I thought Blue was dead," said Gay. "It wasn't until my daughter came home and I heard Blue barking that I realized he was still alive and that he saved me from the alligator."

In winning the award Wednesday, organizers said Blue beat out about 100 contestants whose acts of bravery during last year were submitted by their owners or admirers.

Patti Jo Lambert, coordinator of the dog hero program, said Blue's story stood out. "In all 47 years of this program ... we've never had a winner who fought an alligator," she said.

Back