Uphill both ways

Here we go:D You guys ever heard that song "when I was your age" by wierd al yankovich? It's the most hilarious song ever!!

"No one to drive us to school when it was 90 degrees below,
we had to walk butt-naked through 40 miles of snow,
worked in the coal mines 23 hours a day for just half a cent,
Had to sell my internal organs just to pay the rent,
WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE!!.."

hehe, I love that guy:)

So to answer the original question.. When I was between 5 and 6 grade, I had a sore toenail (didn't think it was too big of deal..) and still went deer hunting all week. Well one morning I woke up and my toe ws REALLY sore. If I touched anywhere below the ankel it shot searing pain all the way to my knee!! So I broke down, and showed it to the parents, who were none-too happy that I'd hidden my blue/purple big toe from them for a week! We went to the hospital to have it checked out and I had an infectious ingrown toenail that required surgery, and meds for the blood poisoning (ps..thats bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). This was before I was even 12, the legal age you have to be to hunt in Idaho...so I wasn't even getting to carry a gun..I was just going along because I liked it so much:)

Loco: You're not alone:) I swam for a greenhead my bro had knocked down in CJstrike resivior in Idaho. The waves were coming in and we thought the duck would too...but the duck just kept getting further and further... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It was below freezing, and I stripped to me undies and waded out to my chest, where I was able to reach the bird with a LONG LONG stick. Just them some guy from fish and game drove up to see what we were doing.... he took a picture too...I sure wish I had a copy!! Drown liek a rat and frozen, and there's prolly a pic of that on the net somewhere:D hehe.

It's like my dad used to say when we'd work all week to get our stuff ready to go hunting/camping/whereever... "It's hard work having fun!!"

Ok, you want to talk about water. I was hunting black bear in B.C. in the spring. The river was flooding with the melt. Long hot days, long cold nights, sort of like being married.{Just kidding!}{Honest!}Anyway I shot a bear on a slope about 400yds. above the river. Of course he didn't have the courtesy to drop dead where I shot him. That would have been 50yds. from a logging road. Instead he tumbled and rolled down the slope and into the river. The splash must have refreshed him because he totally ignored my insults and swam to a gravel bar in the river, where he promptly fell over dead.
The delemma: the bear weighed over 400 lbs and was 70 or so yds. from shore. If I managed to get him from the gravel bar to the shore, I still had to get him up the slope. I went back to camp 2 and 1/2 miles, got a 60 ft. coil of rope, went back to the riverbank, tied my hiking boots around my neck and waded/swam out to the bear.
I didn't gut the bugger because I was hoping he would float.I tied the rope to the bear and shoved him into the river. And float he did, Yahoo!!! I'd never travelled that river quite like that before. I was either up to my armpits in the water or scrambling like a drunk over the rocks. But I got him boys!
He was an old boar, broken teeth, torn ears and a face like a topographical map from the scars. He was only 6'6", but I called him a trophy.

Then there was the time in the swamp with the three moose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Redfrog

Oh, so now you wanna talk about moose hunting and cold water??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Two years ago while moose hunting we were WAY back in the tundra before dark on our 4 wheelers. I was in front on the smaller machine, and my dad and younger brother, who's 16, were on the larger one. The tundra is like one huge spnge, just filled to the brim with water, and riddled with ponds and puddles to boot!!! My bro was driving behind me and I went around a little puddle, about 10' across and looked about 18" deep..no biggie right? Well my bro didn't swing wide enough and got one wheel i nthe hole, which with all that wieght on the 4-wheeler was enough to make it start to tip...and into the water go my dad and bro!! :eek: ..I heard the splash and looked back and they're scrambling to get out and hold the machine from falling comletely in. I took my pistol off and jumped in the COLDEST water I'd ever felt, and held the machine. the scrambled out and tried to lift the machine..here's the delima.. the water looked about 18" deep but that was just floating silt that we thought was the bottom, it was actually prolly 4 1/2' to the bottom...but I can't really call it a bottom anyways, because it was just hella soft mud, and the wieght of that 500 lb machine was hammering me further and further into it! I'm 6'2" and was up to my armpits in this muckey sludgy icy water, while they try to struggle and save the machine. It was teetering on the brink, left wheels in, right wheels out, and had it fell, that far back out in the tundra, without a tree for hundreds of yards to use a come-along or winch, and no way to get a bigger vehicle out there, it's have been gone forever. They try and start it because it died after it fell about 1/2 way in, before I got under it, nothing worked. They tried to scooch it, but it wouldn't slide on the tundra, and it was too far in to lift and push it...so there we were. Half pissed, half froze, half laughing. Finally after about 10 mins they got it started and with the wheels still on land drove it out, with me lifting on the puddle side. We stood there, all soaked to the neck, miles from camp, and getting dark....hmmmmmmmmm. We high-tailed it out of there and finally got back to camp. we drove as quick as we could because it was getting dark, and COLD and made it back in under 1/2 hour and got in dry clothes. it was kinda funny afterwards (about a day later..), but could have been a serious FUBAR situation had it been darker, or had we not been so close to camp. We lived though..and we're wiser about those "puddles" now:)

Back