Thinking of going to fixed power scopes.

unloaded

For some reason I'm kinda getting tired of my varible power scopes and thinking of starting to switch over. I usually have them set at lowest settings when hunting and don't change them to make a shot. I like the fixed ones for simplicity, smaller size, brighter optics and price. Leaning towards a couple of each in 4x and 6x. Let me hear from you guys using fixed power scopes. it won't take much to convince me. I've been checking out Weavers and Leupys, any other ones I should look at? Any come with a ballisticplex type of reticle?

If you've found that all you need is 4-6x for your shooting needs why not look at 1x4, 1.5x6 or 2x7 variables and gain alot of valueble FOV for close in stuff.

AWS

I have (2) Leupold 6*42's, (1) Nikon Monarch 6*42, and (1) Zeiss 4*32.

I love the 4x and 6*42's for deer hunting. Simple flip the BC caps and shoot.

Zeiss discontinued there 4*32, but you can still find them.

Fixed power scopes are a great choice. They allow you to get substantially better glass for a much lower price. Smart move. I just bought a West German Zeiss for $500 that is a fixed 6X scope. Not a Conquest either, but a Diavari.

A 4X and 6X is a perfect hunting scope. People think it takes high power. I would much rather have a lower power scope with high end glass than a high power scope with low end glass. Tom.

Sounds like it would work out for you!

My problem with them is that I dont have very many hunting rifles.. The couple that I do have play a bunch of different roles. I have my scope set on 6ish while yote hunting but that same day I might drive by the pdog town and take some longer shots at em that I really dont think I could make at 6X...

I think fixed power scopes are great in a lot of cases and while I'll fall short of callin variables a fad, they've been around way to long to think that, I think many hunter would be just as well served with a fixed power scope. Note that I said "just as well". Many shooters just set em and forget em 99% of the time. Either on the lowest setting like you or maybe they put a 3-9x on 5x and just leave it. For them a fixed power is a great idea. And I don't mess with my variables all that much in the field either. But for the few extra ounces of weight I still like the option of going up or down. Me? I've decided a 1.5-4x on shotguns and 2-7x is all I need and to tell the truth the shotgun is set on the lowest setting and the rifles are set on 4x most of the time. But I do like to turn em down for close in shooting in the woods and like to turn em up when tested loads at the range or shooting at bedded/feeding/still criters.

I'm not a fan of 6x for "MY" general purpose hunting. Just lose too much for quick shooting 100 yards and under. But a 4x is fine for most hunting and you can still reach out 200-300 yards on critters with em. Maybe more.

If you find yourself just using the lowest setting I would suggest that you are "over scoped" and you to may be served by a lower power variable.

CB

i'll play devils advocate: for me a fixed power scope is like having a truck without power steering. sure you can do just about everything without power steering but its sure nice to have. i'll never own a fixed power rifle scope but that's mainly cause all of my guns go to the P-dag towns when i get the chance.

I was going to add just what nightcaller touched on. When varmint hunting, it's nice to glass at a lower power for greater FOV but when it comes to trigger time, it's magnification up.

FWIW: I realize you're talking lower X's here, but Sightron also makes some in their SII and SII Big Sky lines, maybe others. They also recently added fixed power in their SIII (30mm) line; they're rear-focus, which is kind of neat. I don't mind a fixed-power scope, but want/need adjustable parallax. Also, unfortunately, reticle choices seem to be limited in fixed higher-powers to mostly target-shooting types, and lower ones to plexes.

Last edited:
Seeing as this is a predator hunting site I'll direct most of my coments there. When predator hunting almost allm kills are the result of calling. I'm from the WI/MN area originaly so I tend to hunt areas of heavier cover because I'm comfortable there and have good luck in that cover. Most of the coyotes are under 50yds with many under 20. There is the occasianal coyote that is out there that I can see but it is a rare occurance.

Most of my rifles carry 1x4 or 1.5x6 scopes and stay on the lowest power for that coyote that just appers in close because there is usually plenty of time to turn it up for that long shot.

I've tried fixed scopes an years ago I ran a lot of 3x and 4x fixed but with the availibility of reliable lowpower variable for me it is the only way to go. For me even 3x on close in coyotes too much scope.

AWS

Many, used to be most, of my rifles wear fixed power scopes, mostly 6X with a fixed 4 or two. Nikon, Burris, Weaver and Leupold. I wish fixed power scopes were easier to find, I would own even more of them. My primary calling rifle wears a fixed 2.5X Nikon and a 3X magnifier will get mounted behind an EOTech this weekend. Plenty for the vast majority of my coyote shooting.

Fixed scopes are more durable and perhaps as important are able to defeat all the darned fiddling around with scopes that so many people do in the field. Acquire a good sight picture and pull the trigger.

Nothing wrong with fixed power scopes. I grew up using them. Mostly 4x Leupolds and Redfields. Also a Lyman All American.

Back in the day, they were much more durable than variables, but I suspect todays variables have narrowed the gap.

Most recently I have hunted with a Weaver Classic 2.5x20. Beat the heck out of it, and it never failed. Great scope for the money, as it sat atop many hard recoiling big bore lever guns. The same guns had no troubles dismantling a couple of Burris scopes and 2 Bushnells as well.

Although I prefer 4X for most of my fixed hunting scopes, the Leupold 6x42 is excellent. One of the very best fixed powers made IMO.

Another fixed power that I still use extensively and have zero complaints about, is the Leupold Mark 4 M1 16x40. It is one tough scope, and totally repeatable. 140 moa ain't bad either.

Other fixed power scopes I still use include the Weaver KT15 and T36. Both represent great values in target scopes.

Yet another fixed power I really like, but no longer own, is the now discontinued Weaver 4.75X40 Grand Slam. I would happily buy another.....

I hunted with a 6x for years never had any problems. Then I went to a fixed 12x for my coyote gun...It was a little rough under 25 yards.

I think I could be happy with a 2.5 fixed.

I am loving the 1.5-5x20 vx3. I can mow down a runing jack at 15 feet and still crank it up for the long sitting shot. at 9oz the only downside is the cost.

My $.02

Many years ago, I was a lowly novice civil servant with a "modest" income. (quotes indcate extensive sarcasm here...)

I had an old stevens .243 that was my deer rifle (also anything that required more than a .22 rifle.)

The rifle came with an older Weaver fixed 4 power scope, and less than a month before deer season opened, I managed to break the reticle.

Weaver had transferred all of their manufacturing overseas, but still had (and have, to my knowledge) facilities in El Paso. I called them, and they had me ship them the scope. They replaced the fine crosshair, and all the seals. They recharged it with nitrogen and polished it up pretty as could be.....and didn't charge me a dime. I had the scope back on the rifle before deer season, and couldn't have been more pleased. All I paid was shipping.

I now have two other fixed Weaver 4x on both of my "walking" guns. You can find these inexpensively, and know that the old El Paso steel tubes all had a lifetime warranty, that this company still honors. I haven't had to send another one in, but for the money, if I was looking to go to a fixed power scope, I can't reccomend a used Weaver K4 or K6 enough.

That being said, I have a Leupy MKIV on my tactical .308, and numerous Nikons and Leupolds on my assorted Rem 700s.... As has been mentioned many times, it's all about application.

Watch the yard sales and community boards.

WNYS

Fixed powers for big game hunting are great.
I had one old 4 power Bushnell Sport Chief that was very clear. Had it on many a rifle even my 300 Win. Mag.

The only thing is I hand load for all my centerfires and a low power scope is not good for working up loads.High magnification is the way to go for precision shooting of any kind.

DAB

Last edited:
I really think fixed scopes are a vital role in the optic world. Infact I have had many fixed scopes for my calling/ hunting rifles. All have been 12x and under with the best scope going to the 10x. If there was a manufacture that had a semi target elevation in 10x with AO would be my number one pick. Adam

Originally Posted By: UrimaginaryfrndOne of my favorite 6x42 scopes is the Super Sniper. Its tough as nails only cost $299.95 has a 7mm exit eye pupil so its as bright as they get in low light. Plus with tactical knobs you can dial in correction for long range or you can use the mil dot reticle for hold over or for rangefinding a known size target.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Where's the infamous link?
lol.gif

Back