RRA ATH Carbine (Finally)...Range Report Edit

Santee116

Well, after 54 days, I finally got my first AR. Comparing it to other ARs I have handled and shot, the fit and finish on the RRA is outstanding. Can't wait to get her dialed in and get after some yotes. The weight is not bad at all and it is balanced perfectly. Here's to hoping she is a shooter. I've got some 50,53, and 55 grain bullets of various makes to try. Hope to have a range report after the weekend.

Specs: RRA ATH Carbine
Bead Blasted Barrel
Chromed Bolt Carrier
ERGO grip
Magpul PRS
Primary Arms scope mount
Nikon M-223, 3-12x42, Nicoplex with BDC turrets

(I still need to get a bi-pod adapter, just put it on for the pics)

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

Finally got to the range today and it exceeded my expectations. She shot everything I tried under 1 MOA. Which included Factory Hornady 53 and 55 grain Vmax, HSM with 50 grain Vmax, Handloaded 50 grain Nosler BT and Handloaded 55 grain Sierra Blitzkings. It absolutely loved the blitzkings over Benchmark. Every load I shot with that recipe ran around .5 - .75 MOA. Overall, it has as much accuracy potential as any rifle (bolt guns included) that I have ever played with.

Below are two 5 shot groups at the same target with 24.2 and 24.4 grains of Benchmark behind a 55 grain BK, WW brass, and Rem 7 1/2 primers. I think it should work quite nicely for coyotes. BTW the Nikon suprised me. Very clear and it tracked flawlesly. For the money it is hard to beat, not in the same category as my Zeiss, but a better value for the $$.

10shots.jpg

The RRA was well worth the wait. My only problem is that now I want an AR-10 in .308.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skullcreekNo shots fired yet? LOL

Not yet, going out on Saturday, assuming the weather holds. Hopefully I'll have some kind of range report up the next few days.

THat's what I expected! Don't overlook those 50 gr NBT's. I had only one of seven run on me using those bullets and I hit him behind the shoulder and he went 40 yds. All others were DRT with pass throughs penetrating both shoulders. If the BKs are more accurate, and you feel better about them then go with it for sure.

I like that rifle. I had my hart set on a 20" PP but I am now thinking ATH. Santee116, what do you think of the compensator? Especially sound wise.

Originally Posted By: jschroedI like that rifle. I had my hart set on a 20" PP but I am now thinking ATH. Santee116, what do you think of the compensator? Especially sound wise.

The muzzle break works great. Almost no felt recoil. I put about 150 rounds through it the other day and I felt no after effects. It was a nice change of pace from my .300 mag. It doesn't seem too loud to me, although I have yet to shoot it without hearing protection.

After seeing and feeling the quality of a RRA, I don't think you could go wrong with either an ATH or a PP.

(Sorry about the pics, I tried to access my photobucket account and it said they are still doing maintenance??)

Great looking rifle. I wrestled between that and the Varmint A4 18". Looks like I better start to save my money again lol. I've been considering the PRS as well. Does it add much weight?

Originally Posted By: PitzGreat looking rifle. I wrestled between that and the Varmint A4 18". Looks like I better start to save my money again lol. I've been considering the PRS as well. Does it add much weight?

I'm sure it adds a little weight, but I never handled it with the other buttstock so I can't compare. I got RRA to put the PRS on at the factory. The weight of this rifle is not bad at all and it balances perfectly with the PRS on.

I held one at the gun show this last weekend at our fairgrounds and i really want one now. i was amazed with how light it is.

I got one ordered today through my dealer....already waiting impatiently
smile.gif

On a lighter note, I have a remington R15 VTR with a nikon Coyote special I would be willing to sell if anyone is interested
smile.gif

I chose the ATH for weight and length. I was going to go with an EOTECH sight for quick target acquisition.

Back