Effects from dogs running coyotes in your areas

I know I said I was staying out of this, but I don't think I can.

Hicker, every time someone tries to defend themselves, you say "if you would read what I posted, you would see that that's not what I said." Well, maybe you should look back. The original question was, if a dog running in an area would affect the way the coyotes respond to a call later. Not if it affects finding property to hunt, or anything else. Also, it was said that if someone could hunt a large piece, but there was one person with an acre attached, why should that keep them off the large piece, and you flipped it around to say. That he is turning dogs loose onto hundreds of acres of property that he was unwelcome on.

Have you ever called on a small piece of ground? If so, then you knowingly run the risk of injuring a coyote and having it cross a property line to lay and bleed out. So if and when this happens, do you leave it to lay and die, or do you "trespass" to go get it? In your way of thinking, neither one is "ethical."

If nothing else, Know This. This is not a fight than myself or any other houndsman is willing to quit. No matter weather you say that not all dog men are bad or not, there is simply no way to separate the good from the bad in the eyes of the law, and the antis. By taking the rights away from the bad ones, you take them from the good ones aswell. So of course we will stand and fight until the end when our ways are attacked. And I don't think that simple words posted on a board from hundreds of miles away are capable of judging a mans "character" by. It seems like some people are just hear to pick a fight with a slick tongue and a key pad, and I promise that people like me will always be here to greet you with an iron fist and a club.

Hicker,I don't think I made any "threats" for Duane.If you have been on here long enough I believe you would know his stance on cowardly dog shooters.I think I read on one of his posts,his dogs would bleed for him,and he would do the same for them.That's why I believe your hunt would be brief at best.

If you shoot one of my hounds just because of the fact that he ran across your piece of dirt,I'll see you in court,who knows,after the lawsuit,I'll might buy some of your ground,because you'll need quite of bit of money to pay for him.

As far as your description of houndmen "sitting in their trucks watching on their gps systems",that would be me.We try our best to keep our dogs from getting on jack wagons like you,and it's a lot quicker to get them picked up,while using a truck and gps,than trying to get to them on foot. Unbelievable!

Don't argue about something you clearly don't understand,because it's obvious in your posts that you don't even have a clue,"Junior".I think that was the term you used to describe another member on here,wasn't it.

If you can scrape up enough cash to fly out to St.Louis,I'll gladly make the 2 hr drive to pick you up,and take you hunting.
Duane probably is busy enough the way it is.

And I thought Obama was the king of flipflops.He's got some serious competition with you.Read your own posts.And then reread them,and maybe once more.There's a possible chance you may,although slight,figure it out.

And just because you seem to be concerned about my education,I did just make it through high school.My folks didn't have enough money to send all three of us kids to college.I don't hold that against them,because it sure let me get a lot more hunting done!
thumbup.gif

What college did you get your PhD from,Doctor....,whats your last name again?

Last edited:
Hyper,(most of this is for you, but in this case on the open board is better than a "pm".)
This thread is starting to get alittle "sideways".
I'm gonna try to get it back on track.
There are dink callers, dink dogmen, dink deer hunters, fishermen, bird hunters,and dink landowners,the list could go on for pages.
As a landowner you have the right to "protect livestock ,people, and property". Not sure the law in your state, but most states have some law to that effect.
You will have a hard time in any court in the country,justifying shooting a dog for running across your property.
If you have an issue with slob dogmen, call the law, believe me, most game cops like nothing better that to "bust slob dogmen".
As far as threats, a God fearing man should know "you reap what you sow".
You were sure to make it real clear "if you turn dogs out on my property.... I will kill them"
You keep talking in circles, are dogs turned out on your property, or turned out else where, and cross your ground???
That makes a big difference.
As far as someone making a threat for me,I think he was more so letting you know how some of us feel about dog killers.
Where I live if you kill a mans dog, you better have proof it was chasing livestock, other wise the very best thing that will happen to you is going to jail.
The worst is the dogman catches you in the desert.
I have as much or more of an issue with dog killers, than you have with slob dogmen. One of my best dogs was shot on public ground while running a coyote.The "dogs shouldn't be loose" defense didn't help him much,when I got there. I was following my dogs afoot, and was about ten mins behind the dogs.
You have a valid point, but so do the good dogmen that spend time sharing there knowledge on this forum.
Be forewarned that this is not the place to talk about killing dogs because you have an issue, nor more than a dogman can come on here and brag about burning down a haystack cause someone shot one of his dogs.
Approached in a diff manner, most any of the dogmen here would help you solve the problem, because dinks of any type make all of us look bad.
Here is the "olive branch"
I will make the same offer to you that I have made to many others,"if you wanna see how the ethical dogmen handle dogs, come out here" you will leave with a new respect for dogs.

And with all due respect to you and the other good houndsmen, thats what I've been saying all along. I clearly stated that I have hunted with dogs and its a blast.

I take no exception with houndsmen who do things correctly and I take much exception with those who don't....just as much exception as I take with slob callers, deer hunters, turkey hunters, etc.

My "threat" was directed specifically at guys who have been warned once and disregarded. I myself am a dog lover and probably could have chosen my words better.

I'm very sorry that somebody did ill to your dog on property where he was rightfully hunting. I'm still surprised that any "good" hound hunter could defend the practices that we've described here but no dog would have any worries on my property unless his owner chose to put him there. IMO, that would make the owner a P.O.S.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuYou were sure to make it real clear "if you turn dogs out on my property.... I will kill them"
You keep talking in circles, are dogs turned out on your property, or turned out else where, and cross your ground???

Well see...I haven't talked in any "circles". If I am the predominate landowner in a block and guys turn their dogs out on the 10 acres next to me with an absentee landowner, they are hunting my property. Surely, nobody could defend that practice as theres no way any intelligent dogman could really think his dogs are going to catch a coyote on 10 acres.

This entire conversation has been about guys turning dogs loose on some little parcel with the intent and expectation of hunting on somebody else's property. Then, when confronted, they whine about dogs not being able to read. It is illegal here to trespass. It's also illegal to use any vehicle to hunt. This is what they do here. Another poster said exactly the same thing. Not sure why anybody is having trouble following my point.

As far as someone making a threat for me,I think he was more so letting you know how some of us feel about dog killers.
Where I live if you kill a mans dog, you better have proof it was chasing livestock, other wise the very best thing that will happen to you is going to jail.
The worst is the dogman catches you in the desert.

These are the statements that most dog killers need to remember, plain and simple.

Tim

hick, if you have problems with some hunters that are slobs, then take it up with them. if they are really doing what you say then i`d call the d.e.c on them or even take some video of them. but never take your actions out on the hound, he`s doing nothing wrong.

Last edited:
YOU cannot blame any dog for trespassing because they cannot read posterboards.I am a deer dog owner and a land owner and i do not complain when other club dogs run on my property.If anything i will return the dog if possible to its owner.You need to just get along with each other.

Originally Posted By: killcoyoteshick, if you have problems with some hunters that are slobs, then take it up with them. if they are really doing what you say then i`d call the d.e.c on them or even take some video of them. but never take your actions out on the hound, he`s doing nothing wrong.

Nailed it!!!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: killcoyotes

Thats the attitude that gives all hunters a bad name. So that landowner should just shut up and go away? Your dogs would have a serious problem on my property. What kind of arrogance tells a landowner "too bad"?...lol....what a piece of work [/quote]

that comment sounds like it`s straight from and anti or a whinny [beeep] callers mouth. it`s the people with 2 acres that always complain when a hound runs thru their property and it`s surround by 600 arces that are allowed to be run on.too threaten someones hounds is nothing more than a childish act by a jealous caller. your the kind of person that make me want to bay a yote up on your front porch and there`s nothing you could do about, except sit there and pout.

sorry, duane, but it had to be done. [/quote]

Very well said.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogOriginally Posted By: killcoyoteshick, if you have problems with some hunters that are slobs, then take it up with them. if they are really doing what you say then i`d call the d.e.c on them or even take some video of them. but never take your actions out on the hound, he`s doing nothing wrong.

Nailed it!!!
thumbup.gif

Kinda silly to blame a pencil for miss spelling words.

Originally Posted By: hickerx2Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuYou were sure to make it real clear "if you turn dogs out on my property.... I will kill them"

Well see...I haven't talked in any "circles". .
Well fine you talked in ovals. Is that better? ok, after reading 4 pages of this I came to the conclusion once you put your two cents in about the effects of dogs running coyotes on us who called you should of stopped. You seem to be a person who gets off on stirring the pot, one of those people who always have something to say no matter how pointless it may be. I'm not trying to bash you by any means, but your comments are sure making you seem as I described.

You said something about hondsmen running on your property when aware of your stand on the matter. Well If someone kept "putting" their dogs on scent on my property without permission I would definately have a problem with it also. So that is the one thing i will agree with you on. I'm sure every guy that commented on this thread agrees with you on that matter. You shouldn't take it out on the hound for doing what it loves to do though(running coyotes, and pleasing it's master) The fact that you will instead kill the said animal truely shows your "arrogance".

and no i don't think coyotes that have been run by dogs effect them coming into calls very much at all.

I call and run with dogs. I have ran in an area, cut fresh tracks when I was in the woods and went back later that night and called with pretty good success. If I was to pick one over the other it would be with dogs. There is nothing like listening to the hounds running a good heat...then they start to swing your way...the excitement goes up a little more. Trying to anticipate the coyotes next move is just as hard as trying to set up a spot to call...the other thing is hunting with a good group of guys. The friendship and stories after the hunt are sometimes just as fun while sitting around the table drinking coffee...you know..the 200 yard standing shot stretched to a 300-400 flat out running shot...either way...if you can get out side in the fresh air and enjoy the outdoors..that's all that matters.I'm glad we all have that freedom to enjoy.

Well said,dwilson!I think that several people don't fully understand the bond between a man(or boy)with their dogs.
No matter if it's a running hound,or just some Heinz 57 dog that's their partner out in the woods.
I like to call,but I LOVE my hounds.
I wonder if anyone would have watched the movie,or read the book,'Where the Red Fern Grows',if it would have had ended with, Ole Dan,and Little Ann,killed by some,jacked up,jealous landowner?
I think it's a bond, that only can be fully understood,if you were lucky enough,to be born with this affliction.

I think this thread has run its course.
Thanks guys for "being nice" for the most part.
(I will not lock the thread at this point) Duane

I have to dissagree hickerx2 and Brian! I call yotes and chase em with dogs. I have never been turned down by a landowner to hunt yotes either way. I have even had non hunting landowners tell me to kill all the yotes I can. And by the end of day of huntin with dogs Im whopped. It ain't all sittin in a truck and waitin for a yote to run across the road. Besides huntin from a truck in Ohio is against the law unless you are handicapped. Bet your caller never bayed up a yote and you had to get in to it quick to get it before a yote rips off it's speaker. Calling them is much more laid back. I like to hunt yotes period.

I'll bet if you checked a cross section of all houndsmen .....

............ and did the same for all callers .........

You'd find more professionals amoungst the dog men!!!

The callers .......... more greenies and first timers!

Its just a fact.

A green caller will educate more coyotes in a day than a hundred hounds could educate in a lifetime.

Three 44s

Back