Browning BLR .270 (Lever)

tika223

I'm looking at one of these levers but there doesn't seem to be much info on the .270. Comments re a .308 seem much more at hand, so this must be far more popular. Has anyone used a BLR .270. Comments +- would be appreciated.

I'm not a big fan of replying when someone asks for advice and I have none, which I don't here but if I had a chance to pick up a BLR in .270 for a real good price, I'd jump on it. It's arguably the finest lever action in current production and the caliber speaks for itself.

I cant speak for one in a .270 but the .308 I owned shot very well and killed a ton of deer. Sure wish I had it back! The 270 should be great too.

Thanks for your comments. Made the deal for $425 CA which included a mounted Bushnell Banner 3-9- 40. It is a Lightning model made in Japan between 1996-2003. The original owner had put about 5 boxes of shells through and just couldn't get used to the "crisp" trigger pull so wanted it gone. Looks great and the action feels very smooth. He didn't have any issues with cycling, jamming, etc. so it struck me as a good deal.

Last edited:
The .270 would be a better choice for open country hunting and the .308 would shine in closer cover. The .308 is 3 inches shorter overall and is almost a pound lighter if that is important to you. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

This is a model 81 BLR in 22-250 that I restored for a friend.
BrowningBLR22-250.jpg

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiYou need to get some checkering on that buttstock. Looks nice though.

The buttstock was in three pieces when I started on this one. The original checkering was not very well executed, severely damaged, and therefore not very functional. With your hand through the cocking lever your grip is fairly good without the checkering. I was tempted to remove the forend checkering to match, but my friend said to leave it as it was. It looks and shoots great and that's what counted to the owner. I was more interested in saving the buttstock due to the sensational wood. You can still buy replacement stocks but they won't have the highgrade wood. The metal parts are refinished better than original. This was a sadly abused truck gun before restoration.

Ok sorry again not the .270 but I own a .243 in this rifle and absolutely love it. It is defiantly my favorite rifle. I don't think you can go wrong with it in the .270. Have fun with it!

I have a pistol grip Jap with a Nikon. Folks don't like long action BLRs. Very different design than a short action, looks awkward, carries funny, heavyish considering that it has a pencil barrel, and don't take it apart for cleaning. My answer. I sling it and it is more accurate than many bolt guns. It is a hunting gun that gets shot at game. It get banged up in the woods and does not need to be pretty. Mags are cheap on GB. Look at the schematics, there is very, very little in the gun. Smart, weird design. Again, the accuracy is amazing for a lever.

Picked up my BLR .270 today - a 2000 Lightning model. I don't find it awkward looking nor awkward to carry - it seems little different than my A-Bolt - shoulders nicely and feels good. The scope is a Bushnell Banner - yet to be determined if this is a "throw-a-way". It seems bright and clear with a circle plex reticle. While about 2" longer than the BLR short actions, standing beside my .223 Tikka in the cabinet they are the same overall length. The seller even threw in 2 boxes of 150 Win. P. Points so all in all, a pretty good deal.

Point is taken not to take it apart for cleaning. Looking forward to the next step - the range - to get the real feel of it. It has iron sights, just in case.

Tika223 I think you will be terribly dissapointed with it so I will send you a pm with my address so you can ship it to me for disposal
smile.gif

Took my BLR to an indoor range yesterday for the first time to sight it in with Rem 130 gr Core Lokts. After a few shots and making small scope adjustments - had three shots inside a 1" square bull at 36 yards. Moved to 50 yards and as expected, shots were 2-3" high but remained on the center line or within 1" and well grouped. Did not notice the "extra length" of the long action nor was the "crisp" trigger a problem. The mag/action functioned great. The recoil was there but the felt recoil was not even a factor - could shoot it all day in total comfort. The comments on the "sand bagging thread" were very helpful as have been many of the comments in this forum. Can't wait to get it to the outdoor range to sight in at 100/200 yards.

tika223 looks like you got a deal--

The only downfall I have with the BLR Long actions is the long lever throw--Having shot A BLR short action/marlin 30-30 when I got a chance to handle a BLR LA seemed the lever just kept on going...IMO.

But maybe my arms are just short..

Enjoy it though--

David

Back