History in the making in my home town today !! Pics added !

Tim Neitzke

Had the day off from work today and got to be part of something that was very exciting ! My wife got a call that a black bear had been sighted in our yote hunting area. Rushed out to see it ! Cars all on the roads everywhere. Sure enough a black bear in a tree along the fence row about 2-300 yards off of the black top. My friend who is dog/bear hunter called a DNR biologist to come out to tag and collar it. Here's the best part .... I got to help !!
thumbup.gif

After it was darted and sleeping we had to get the dang thing out of the tree !Which was quit a job itself. It was a boar and weighed 152 pounds. It's the most southern collared/tagged bear in Michigan. The closest area you can draw a very limited fall kill tag is an hour north or so. Was cool as heck to be apart of and VERY BIG news for my little home town. The only bad part was the 40* temps and the 20+mph winds , standing in a field got very,very cold.

Here is a few pics. Some are a bit fuzzy taken from 2-300 yards at first by the Mrs.

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

Bear on the ground before darting.
IMG_4307.jpg

DNR sneaking in for a shot.
IMG_4312.jpg

Back up ther tree after the shot. Falling asleep.
IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4331.jpg

getting ready to weigh it. Me in the black coat and red/white& blue hat.
IMG_4333.jpg

All fixed up with his new gear and Jim the land owner.

IMG_4337.jpg

Just thought I'd share.

Tim
cool.gif

Last edited:
I wish I had a pic of the dart gun ! It was cool for sure. Was a new gun that looked like a camo AR-15. It's CO2 powered and scoped. I asked how it shot and with big grin he replied ...."I can shoot 1.5" goup at 50 yards" . Safari Club gave them the $$ to buy it.

Thanks for reading guys.

The bear on the news is in NJ. We had no bucket truck ,the bear was proly 10' in the tree. We put a rope around one paw to help lower it. Then one guy pushed and 2 of us caught it !

The town is Merrill, Michigan.

I never saw any news people, but don't mean they weren't there in the back ground.

Ok must have not been ya'll had to use truck on this one --sorry about jackin your thread--

Wait a minute you did say caught it!!!
Just how big a boy are you there Tim??
tt2.gif

David

Well, tranquilized or not, good on 'ya for even getting near him. I've been near one loose bear that was roaming the streets in Ruidoso, NM and I wanted no part of it.

We laid him down in the grassy fence row. It was getting dark ,so I left . The DNR was going to watch it until it was up and around. The bear is only 3-4 mile from my house .

They are going to track it by plane to see were it's going.

Great photos Tim! The Bear are definatly moving south in Mi. It seems those young Boars always end up in places they are not suppose to be. I Bear hunted the Gladwin zone this year, Midland County is the closest area open to you i think in that zone, I hunted Osceola Co.
Keep us posted, thanks!
Ben VW

BenVW, I forgot about Midland Co being open,so it is a bit closer yet. Be nice to be able to shoot bears like this down south someday.

This is last years UP bear.
IMG_0312.jpg

Thanks guys for reading.
Tim

Nice Bear Tim! What zone? I have taken one in Newberry zone in 05. It's a tough hunt in Gladwin zone, not many Bears at all. It was a "do it myself" hunt, but was only able to get one Bear hitting the baits who was a no show come hunt time. I think next time i will head back up to the UP.
Here is my Trailcam Bear from near Reed city this past fall.
bearcam2.jpg

Back