Skinning Machine w/ new pics

GameEarGabe

This year I got into skinning and tanning, for all the critters me and my buddies call in. I just set up a skinning machine in my shed yesterday. 880lb hoist from Harbor frieght and the base and gambrel was made by a guy off of Iowa Trapper Talk. I did one red today and I have one thawing out for tomorrow. Total cost about $250.00.

IMAG0156.jpg

Took pics of the last fox of the season that I had frozen.
IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

Gabe

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to figure out exactly what direction to go with a skinning machine. Portable or not. Is that tall enough to do a coyote? Eight foot ceiling I'm guessing.

ADC has a video on youtube, that is who makes the bases and gambrel, he was selling the base and the gambrels on a couple trapping sites earlier this season

Here's a couple of pics of mine from this year trapping season. Mine cost $75 bucks to make, just a cheap winch at Harbor Freight and some 1x1 tubes, channel locks, and some rebar from Menards. Also made mine to swivel. Took about 45mins to do and way worth it!

IMG00597a.jpg

IMG00598a.jpg

GameEarGabe,
That is a nice looking rig! Couple questions:
- have you used it on coon?
- any ideas on how to mount to a wood floor?
- on your ceiling support on the winch have you noticed any creaking or stress? my wood and rafters are much older than yours and I could just see me ripping the winch right out of the ceiling! just wondering how much reinforcement a guy needs?

Nice set up! This is what I need to get going. I am losing too much especially on big coons by selling in the round.

The guy who buys furs around here has a great setup he has a spring loaded trap door on a table witch is bolted to the floor and the winch above but the winch is run by pedels on the side of the table on the floor so the hands are always free

Go to trapperman and search skinning machines there is a ton of them. And for the guys worried about height clearance there are even a couple that are horizontal and look really slick

Back