longest shot on a groundhog w/22 lr

coyotex

Will head and chest shots kill quickly at 75-100 yards?

I have beaned them in the head at 150 with a 17 mach2,,,died but flopped for a bit.

I just need to find a sweet spot that ill crawl too.

X

YES
i take them out with my .22 cal air rifle at 60+ yards
I take ONLY head shots and it will drop them no problem
if you can hit their head you can kill them with the .22 as long as its within your range your safe

I have been ground hog hunting for 40 years. And have shot alot of them with a 22 LR. We do not have "super ground hogs" here. But they are large, and are tough to kill.

I also detest "crawl offs". I try to avoid that at all times.

I like the 22 rifle because of the ability to precision shoot out to 50 to 60 yards. So head shots are not a big problem for those distances. I would extend that an extra 10 yards or so if head shooting only. However most are shot with body shots. And IMO 50 yards is a bit far for body shots on the big ground hogs.

This is just my experience. But anything past 60 to 70 yards is too far, as far as I am concerned. I like to pick them up-not watch them crawl off.

If you are looking for a 100 yard rifle then I really think you need a 22 magnum or a 17 HMR. If you want to go past 100 or maybe 125 then you need to look at a 22 Hornet. I own all three. And these three make a great battery for shots out to 200 yards. Tom.

Last edited:
never had a .22 hornet, I was thinking of grabbing a bbl for my encore pistol thats a round that always interested me
i bet it would wreck havok on crows!!!

The 5.7 will be one of my hog guns,,when cmmg releases it.
out to 200 it should be deadly.
The long stuff i shoot with the .223 now,,,i just got some around the building work ,,near cows and such.

Would not be a good thing if i shoot one and it crawls back under a building and dies,,,,most of these seldomly get more than 30-35 yards away from their holes.

X

Back