Bell and Carlson fitting issue

Revo45

I bought a BC Medalist Tactical stock for my Rem. VTR and am having a problem with fitting. Actually, its suppose to be a drop-in stock but the barrel sits way over to one side. It is still free-floating, but just barely. BC advised me to do some mods to it such as removing some material from a few places on the stock like the recoil lug area and the mag area. I did all of this with no change in barrel fit, so I sent it back and they gave me a new one...Same problem with the new one. BC said that they did a test fit with "their barrel action" and it fit just fine so there was nothing more they could do. So Im confused as to what the problem is. Is it my barreled action? I dont want to butcher this stock like I did the last one in an attempt to fix it. Can it be fixed with a bedding job? Im out of Ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks.

Yes it could be fixed with a good bedding job.
Unfortunately, not many people are capable of doing a good bedding job. They either lack the equipment or the experience.

Jack

I would guess your action has a problem. I would probably take it to a gunsmith at this point to find out where the problem is and what can be done.

Of the 6 b&c stocks i have owned, everyone needed to have material removed from the barrel channel. For me, (savage) it was always from the front of the rifle channel on the bolt side. blue

Thanks for the replies...Ya Im assuming its my action. The action sits in the stock perfectly straight until I tighten the bolts down. Guess its off to the gunsmith and hopefully a good bedding job will do the trick.

Maybe the action screw escutcheon is seated crooked in the forearm. If it is, the barrelled action will sit straight in the stock until you tighten up the screw, and then it'll pull the barrel to one side.

I sanded out the barrel channel on an expensive stock before I found what their "quality control" had obviously missed.

013-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: fw707Maybe the action screw escutcheon is seated crooked in the forearm. If it is, the barrelled action will sit straight in the stock until you tighten up the screw, and then it'll pull the barrel to one side.

I sanded out the barrel channel on an expensive stock before I found what their "quality control" had obviously missed.

013-2.jpg

Thats exactly what happens. As soon as I tighten the action screws, it pulls to one side. The funny thing is, the barrel is evenly spaced all the way down the channel, it just sits to one side. Is this what you were experiencing, or was your barrel crooked in the channel? Either way its gonna end up at the gunsmith. Hope its not too big of an issue, Ive got enough into this gun already.

Originally Posted By: Revo45Thats exactly what happens. As soon as I tighten the action screws, it pulls to one side. The funny thing is, the barrel is evenly spaced all the way down the channel, it just sits to one side. Is this what you were experiencing, or was your barrel crooked in the channel? Either way its gonna end up at the gunsmith. Hope its not too big of an issue, Ive got enough into this gun already.

Mine was almost evenly spaced, but just a hair closer at the tip of the forearm.

Put the screw in the empty stock and see how it lines up.

Check to make sure that when you put the screws in that you don't have the area back by the safety. When I got my B&C medalist it sat in the channel fine but when I tightend down the action screws specifically the back one it shoved the barrel over so that the barrel was tight up against the forearm. All I had to do was remove some of the material right around the safety area and kept test fitting it until it fit nicely. Had to do something similar with another old 700 but it was actually material under the safety select lever that needed to be removed so that it would operate. Just used some sand paper and a couple different size dowls and about 15min. Then covered the area with some clear coat.

Well guys, Ive tried everything you suggested. The bolts go through the stock straight and there isnt any signs of rubbing or contact near the safety area. The barrel ends up in the same place no matter which bolt I put in and tighten first. Oh and I found something else out while doing all of this...B&C told me they sent me a NEW stock, they didnt!! They just refinished and repaired the original stock I sent back to them. I was removing some over-spray in the recoil lug area today and found the mark I had made in an area I was going to remove a bit of material the first time around. Unbelievable!! This is going to be a fun phone call to make.

One other thing that I just remembered was that I THINK there was some residue in the recoil lug area that I had to sand out also to get it to fit in the stock better.

1st put kiwi shoe polish in channel and on the barrel.
2nd get some 5min putty type epoxy and center barrel action
in the chanel in 2 spots only . tape the stock out side and DO NOT let the epoxy get over center line of the barrel.
3rd get some strong rubber bands to hold it all togather wear you want in.
4th flip the gun over and look @ holes & see the taped holes in the action are in line with the bushing in the stock .
5th if not in line with bushing open the stock bushings up with a twist drill.
6th if they are in line with bushing you have 1 of 2 problems action screws are bent replace the screws. Action was taped crooked open up bushing.
7th if this did not fix problem time to poor new pilers and
do a good bed job.
8th if opening bushing fixed the problem pull the epoxy and your good to go if you want leave it in and bed the action.

Last edited:
The Xmark trigger is different from the original 700 trigger as well. Depending on when the stock was made that could be you're problem. On the older stocks the cut out was much smaller and it might need to be opened up.

Originally Posted By: Wareagle The Xmark trigger is different from the original 700 trigger as well. Depending on when the stock was made that could be you're problem. On the older stocks the cut out was much smaller and it might need to be opened up.

Very good point Wareagle. For some reason that didnt even cross my mind. Thanks.

Back