.17hmr for hogs?

Originally Posted By: Flat Land CoaxerI think its perfect for coons and ground hogs. I might take one with me next winter for close up shots on coyotes. I got 6 coyotes this year and none of the shots I took were over 65 yards other than one on my bait pile that was 150 yards. I just thought the show was interesting. I havnt shot any hogs other than the ones on my farm that needed put down. Hopefully Ill be heading to Texas this summer to do some management on my friends ranch. Maybe I'll take the hmr and try it out.
Do yourself a favor and leave the 17 for PD's and your friend might invite you back.

I have shot many, many feral pigs using a 204 ruger, 223, 25-06, and 300 savage. And have seen them taken with a number of other substantially larger calibers. One thing I can say with certainty is the difference in the size of the wound between a 204 ruger and say, a 30-06 is negligable. Every pig I have ever shot in the right place died just the same using every caliber. The only pig I lost was with the 300 savage due to poor shot placement.

In regards to caliber, just about any centerfire rifle is suitable for taking medium game in my experience. The kicker is the bullet that is used. Bullets designed for varmint hunting can and do work, sometimes spectacularly do to their rapid expansion. The problem lies in their lack of penetration, limiting your shot options. Sturdier constructed bullets tend to penetrate better, but are usually less destructive.

The general rule should be to know your limits and select the rifle that you are the most confident with. A well placed shot using small, lightly constructed bullets will kill every time, where as a poor shot using heavy, tough bullets will often result in lost game. Larger, sturdy bullets don't really give any more room for error, at least not in my experience. They can provide you with a better opportunity to take shots other than the perfect broadside shot.

I'm not saying that small calibers work better or worse, not at all. I'm just trying to say that knowing how to shoot and ustilize the bullets construction effectively is what kills game.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: youngdonBUT....BUT... they did it on TV.

BUT.....BUT....WHY!!!

I don't believe the guys on this forum only have a HMR. Unless your state limits you to rimfire only, WHY would you not take a centerfire?

Is this really a serious thread or does everybody just have cabin fever?
tongue_smilie.gif

CB

I shot a Texas hog,about 150 pounds, last spring at 20 yards with a 44 Mag 240gr Hollow point. the hit was in front of left shoulder and came out just behind the right side jaw. He stumbled and kept right on running when we finally killed it 200 yards later and skinned it you could drop a ping pong ball clear thru the bullet path.An other hunter shot a 175 lb sow behind her front shoulder broadside and it really pi$$ her off,it took a slug thru the side of the head to put her down. So shooting hogs with a 17 HMR is like swatting a bull in the a$$ with a willow switch and expecting it to die. It might die of heart failure but i would not bet on it.

this morning i was checking water at a new windmill and water tank, when i drove up there were about 30 hogs in the water, they didnt hear me i shot a black boar in the ear and he dropped in the water there were hogs running ever where, got a red sow running heart shot at about 60 yrds, then a small boar running 3/4 angle away the last shot i did a texas heart shot on a boar running straight away, he didnt like being shot in the butt and started to spin biteing at his butt took 2 more shot to put him down,now to my point, theres always someone that talks about the right bullet, shot placement caliber, blah,blah,blah.most hogs can be killed with any caliber if you have time to line up and make the perfect shot but try killing 4 hogs in 10 seconds 3 running, with a 17.aint going to happen.ive seen big hogs soak 100gr. 243 like a sponge, i repeat anyone that hunts hogs with a 17 is a fool.rio7

Originally Posted By: rio7this morning i was checking water at a new windmill and water tank, when i drove up there were about 30 hogs in the water, they didnt hear me i shot a black boar in the ear and he dropped in the water there were hogs running ever where, got a red sow running heart shot at about 60 yrds, then a small boar running 3/4 angle away the last shot i did a texas heart shot on a boar running straight away, he didnt like being shot in the butt and started to spin biteing at his butt took 2 more shot to put him down,now to my point, theres always someone that talks about the right bullet, shot placement caliber, blah,blah,blah.most hogs can be killed with any caliber if you have time to line up and make the perfect shot but try killing 4 hogs in 10 seconds 3 running, with a 17.aint going to happen.ive seen big hogs soak 100gr. 243 like a sponge, i repeat anyone that hunts hogs with a 17 is a fool.rio7

Did ya forget to bring the camera? Would love to see some down hogs!

Back