Savage?

Squeeze

All,

I recently had a new Savage come through one of the Hunter's
Safety courses I teach, with a 2 position safety, and the bolt
isn't locked when the rifle is on Safe. Is this a new
development, or should I say a step backwards, for Savage?
I was considering replacing a Howa with a 2 position safety,
that doesn't lock the bolt, with a Savage with a three position
that does lock the bolt. Are there models that still have the
three position safety? I might be trading for another Tikka
instead.

Squeeze

I always hated 3 position safeties. Let's face it, my .22s, my shotguns, pistols etc are all 2 position. I can work the actions on these all I want with the safety on. It annoys me when I have to move my safety to operate my bolt. Safeties are for triggers.

Now as for the Savage you saw......I have no idea if they changed em (hope they did, it's would be a step forward) but if they didn't and the safety is not working as designed I would be worried the the trigger block may also malfunction and the gun should be checked out.

CB

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceI always hated 3 position safeties. Let's face it, my .22s, my shotguns, pistols etc are all 2 position. I can work the actions on these all I want with the safety on. It annoys me when I have to move my safety to operate my bolt. Safeties are for triggers.

Now as for the Savage you saw......I have no idea if they changed em (hope they did, it's would be a step forward) but if they didn't and the safety is not working as designed I would be worried the the trigger block may also malfunction and the gun should be checked out.

CB

The safety was clearly a 2 position safety, and it was working
as designed.

So do you hunt in rough terrain? I don't care if a safety
has two or three positions as long as one of them locks
the bolt. I don't like my bolt to flop open on a belly
crawl through sage and cacti, or to have it drop open
when sling carried through heavy brush. Just sayin'.

As a Firearm's Safety instructor, I have always appreciated
the Savage 3 position safety, to give a position where the
trigger is blocked, and the bolt will cycle on live rounds.
Taking the safety off to cycle the bolt on live rounds
increases the odd of an accidental/a negligent discharge.
Even if a mechanical device, the 3 position safety lowers
those odds.

Squeeze

P.S. Still interested in hearing from somebody with
first hand knowledge of possible safety changes from Savage.

I always thought the three position safety was a good idea. I like being able to work shells through the action with the safety on.

I sure wouldn't want a two position safety that didn't lock the bolt. I don't like the idea of throwing my rifle up to shoot and finding out the bolt has been opened by a stick or piece of brush while walking through a thicket.

Originally Posted By: Squeeze

The safety was clearly a 2 position safety, and it was working
as designed.

So do you hunt in rough terrain?

Taking the safety off to cycle the bolt on live rounds
increases the odd of an accidental/a negligent discharge.

So are you saying that on the 2 position safety you saw the other day was one position was off and the 2nd position was bolt locked? I wouldn't like that at all. I agree that I do not want to have the safety complete disengaged to cycle the bolt. As for the "rough terrain", I spent a better part of my adult life chasing hounds thru timber in the dark. Crawling under trees, stumbling thru weeds, etc. There is no other form of hunting that is as "rough" as chasing hounds. So yes, I know a little about rough terrain. But I've never had an issue with a bolt opening up regardless of the action type or whether is was a shotgun, rimfire or centerfire. As long as the gun won't fire I'm good and that means a trigger safety. IMO, having the bolt locked down adds absolutely nothing in the way of safety. After all, there is already a round in the chamber whenever I'm in the field and likely from the time I leave home. Maybe you could explain to me how having the bolt locked down adds to safety?

Regards, CB

I've never had a bolt come completely open while going through brush, but I have had the bolt pushed up enough that it wouldn't have fired without first pushing the bolt back down again. A locked bolt prevents it from happening.

Originally Posted By: Chris_Brice
So are you saying that on the 2 position safety you saw the other day was one position was off and the 2nd position was bolt locked?

Regards, CB

Ease up there Chris. First, NO the two position safety has
ON and OFF, and neither lock the bolt. And no the bolt
not locked down isn't a safety issue.

And I to have spent some time running after hounds and belly
crawling/stumbling through sage, cacti, northern cedar swamps,
cattail marshes, corn fields, tundra tag alders, and just about
any other morass known to the northern hemisphere. I want
my bolt action rifle's bolt locked down. Y'all can have yours
how ever the heck you want them. That was not the question.

Meaning no disrespect, but I really did just want to enter
into a discussion with someone knowledgeable about the
different Savage rifles, with 3 and 2 position safeties.

I guess I should have called Savage.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Squeeze
First, NO the two position safety has ON and OFF, and neither lock the bolt.
My bad, didn't mean to come off too strong and was really curious as to whether I was missin something. I'm glad that the safety wasn't as first thought/understood. That would be a bad deal.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeAnd no the bolt not locked down isn't a safety issue. I want
my bolt action rifle's bolt locked down. Y'all can have yours
how ever the heck you want them.
Agreed, to each your own. I just find them to be like a magazine safety on a pistol. More of a pain in the butt than a real problem and a solution to a question most aren't asking.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeMeaning no disrespect, but I really did just want to enter
into a discussion with someone knowledgeable about the
different Savage rifles, with 3 and 2 position safeties.

Squeeze
Hope someone chimes in, ya got me curious as well.

CB

Could the Savage in question have been the Edge/Axis? I believe that has a two position safety, OFF and then BOLT Locked with trigger immovable. Did the rifle have a detachable box magazine? Could that be a factor?

My Savage Model 10 and Stevens 200 have a three position:
1. Off
2. Trigger locked and bolt operational
3. Trigger locked and bolt non-operational.
Safety located behind the Bolt on the stock.

My Savage 93 has a Tang safety, forward to fire, back to lock. The bolt is non-operational in the safety ON position.

Hope that helps!

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HereticCould the Savage in question have been the Edge/Axis? I believe that has a two position safety, OFF and then BOLT Locked with trigger immovable. Did the rifle have a detachable box magazine? Could that be a factor?

My Savage Model 10 and Stevens 200 have a three position:
1. Off
2. Trigger locked and bolt operational
3. Trigger locked and bolt non-operational.
Safety located behind the Bolt on the stock.

My Savage 93 has a Tang safety, forward to fire, back to lock. The bolt is non-operational in the safety ON position.

Hope that helps!

smile.gif

Heretic,

Exactly what I was looking for. Yes, I believe it was an
Edge/Axis model. The curious part is with the Safety in
the On position, I think I saw the bolt opened. I will
check this tomorrow night, in HS class. Either the student's
rifle has a problem, or I am wrong on the bolt opening.
Checking in 20 some kids, with firearms, can blur my
observations of individual firearms. FWIW, I wasn't to
impressed with the Axis/Edge rifles. Savage really went
after the budget market! I guess it doesn't have to be
wrapped in quality to shoot critters. I will stick with
my Model 116/16s.

Squeeze

Back