Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" pattern tests

GJ,
Thanks for bringing this one back to the top. I read these posts and am sometime confused by the different results/opinions. I think it emphasizes that every individual shotgun and choke combination should be patterned.

Personally, I shoot a Beretta Onyx 686 3.5 inch with a 29 inch barrel. In the past I've used much 0000 buckshot with mixed results. Too many animals "walked" right through the pattern and ran off wounded or unscathed when shot at ranges 40 to 50 yards. I like the "Dead Coyote" a little more.

Just to freshen my true recollection, I pulled the trigger twice this morning at 40 yards using 3.5 inch "Dead Coyote" T's. The lower barrel was choked with a branded "Hevi-shot" Turkey Super Full (.660) and the upper barrel is a Beretta Full (.680). Those are micrometer-measured. The Super Full throws a visibly tighter pattern at 40 yards. The .680 put all the shot in 24-inch circle. The .660 put it closer to 21-inch. Neither pattern bolstered my confidence beyond the 50-yard mark for efficient killing but it's a real improvement over buckshot.

In another thread, in three consecutive posts, one person swore by IC, another by light modified, and a third recommended full choke, hence my confusion between fact and fiction, and the obvious need for personal patterning by anyone planning to hunt with their shotgun.

In an unofficial poll of coyote shotgunners over the last year or two, based on shooters at hunt check-in, the general consensus was to aim at a coyote's head, not at the center of mass. That too is based on hunting numbers down and dead, not on opinion.

Do you aim at the body? Or at the head?

It is good to know. I was wondering if I could use it in my modified 12ga. It had a long enforcing? tube installed by Bansner's for predators or turkeys. I guess I'll have to call them or e-mail to find out the diameter of the choke, or do I measure it at the muzzle?T.20

so what "the rep is saying " is i can shoot hevishot dead coyote through a "lead only choke " and be safe without any detrimental effects to me or my gun/choke/barrel?

WOW! Talk about a thread coming back from the dead.
smile.gif

Back