Understanding coyote vocals?

seasley

Guys, I am asking for help on defining coyote vocals and what they mean, when to use and when not to use?

I have searched a many of different forum's on diffrent boards trying to get answers and also watched numerous DVD's and can not get any or still doesnt break the ice for me.

I am wanting to understand there vocals to the point of turkey hunting per say, cause I know what a purr, cluck, yelp are, and when to use those but I do not know understand coyote vocals in any way shape or form.

I have 15 coyote vocals on my MA-21, BUT My field attemps have been a bust everytime I have used them... Any help would be appriciated.

are they named on the e-caller. when im howling (i use mouth calls), which can be very effective,i space the time between each call out, i will wait 4 or 5 min. b/t calls. and i try to vary the tone as to make it sound like several different coyotes. i also almost always use a female/juvie call to get the less domanite coyotes in. the only time i use a challenge howl is when i have one hung up to far out to shot.

seasley
I have been looking for the same info that you are looking for. It would be great to find some info & be able to put it on a mp3 player & just listen & study there language.

Randy Anderson explains the majority of coyote vocalizations on his "Mastering the Art" dvd...but I have found the the coyotes they are hunting out west are somewhat different then the coyote here in the east..

Originally Posted By: KingDaddyRandy Anderson explains the majority of coyote vocalizations on his "Mastering the Art" dvd...but I have found the the coyotes they are hunting out west are somewhat different then the coyote here in the east..

your right....The ones out west have a southern accent, same with the ones in the south.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Bill Austin is who I heard first. He'd put out a set of cassettes in the early 80's I believe,maybe earlier. I've been looking for a set if those again, there was a lot of info in those. I'd sure like to have another set. I not having any luck though.

Only the coyote's know, and they ain't talking. Regardless of claims to the contrary, there never has been any human that truly knew coyote language. You listen to the inflection in the howls. You can tell when a coyote is angry, when it is screaming in pain and etc., but that is about it.

I am glad to see you put that info out, Rich, as it is spot on. These guys giving every conceivable coyote vocalization a specific name are full of it.

Originally Posted By: possumalI am glad to see you put that info out, Rich, as it is spot on. These guys giving every conceivable coyote vocalization a specific name are full of it.

+1

Wasn't to long ago I got into a disgreement with another hunter. About whether a person can understand coyote vocals. I told him no one knows what a coyote is truely conveying. My opinion fell on deaf ears. Imagine that LOL!

He or she that says they can. Then step forward & claim your crown. You'd be the grand poo-bah of all coyote hunters. Think of it, lord of the coyotes?

A little over a wk ago, late one night. I heard a lone coyote off in the distance. Coyote made two short barks, followed by a long howl that sounded like a long "whoop" noise. I suspect that coyote was trying to lure in some lost crane? or a child with a upper respiratory problem[whooping cough]? I just dunno, as I can't speakenzi coyote. Nor do I understand what the heck their saying.

Last edited:
"He or she that says they can. Then step forward & claim your crown. You'd be the grand poo-bah of all coyote hunters. Think of it, lord of the coyotes?"

That same crown can be placed upon the head of a person claiming to know or tell the sex of a coyote on the hoof.

BS, malarkey, baloney, horse pucky or whatever else ya wanna call it.
w00t.gif

I see you need help? doggin. Heres some pointers.

Mated pair of coyotes out hunting/traveling. Female leads, She sets the tempo. She is also most often more wary/observant than the dumass male. As per usual. Almost forgot, while in the lead. If the female stops for various reason. The male most often will go on past her a little ways. Once he stops again, if everything is cool. She'll then resume the lead again.

Pre-mating, again she sets the mood/ body checking/rubbing, paw over the male's shoulder. Den digging, male does most of the grunt work, as per usual.

Mated pair of coyotes near each other, male is most often taller, huskier in build/stature. Broader head, broader thicker muzzle & neck. Huskier shoulder girdle. Uh...lifts leg when HE pees.

Mated pair of coyote's bedding down for the day. Male beds down 1st. Then the female, the female is the one once bedded. She is still scanning around, wary.

Check mate

I will give you one, so ya feel like you accomplished sumpin. Killed a very large/burly looking 47-lb[weighed] coyote circa;1970? Looked like a male. Until I rolled the coyote over, no gear. Come to find out, he was toting a va-jay-jay instead.

Last edited:
Well heck kirby, errr, I mean Lord of the Coyotes, do you wear a small, medium, large or x-large crown?
smile.gif

Ya ever seen a male coyote squat to pee? Or I should put it this way. Ever seen a coyote squat to pee and killed it, only to find out it was a female? No?

When somebody tells me they can tell the sex of a live, wild coyote with any kind of reliability, I know they're full of crap. But it still may be worthy of a golden crown and title of Grand Puh-Pah. But not much more.

Yup seen males squat. Regardless, they were still males, duh.
Find 1-post where I remarked I could tell 100% of the time. Just "1". Fact is you won't.

Check mate

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesWell heck kirby, errr, I mean Lord of the Coyotes, do you wear a small, medium, large or x-large crown?
smile.gif

Ya ever seen a male coyote squat to pee? Or I should put it this way. Ever seen a coyote squat to pee and killed it, only to find out it was a female? No?

When somebody tells me they can tell the sex of a live, wild coyote with any kind of reliability, I know they're full of crap. But it still may be worthy of a golden crown and title of Grand Puh-Pah. But not much more.

Aparently you have a very short memory. Here's your sign, doggin

Lets re-cap now shall we. I do believe I have the check mate on you. I rest my case LOL!

Back