Cheytac .408

L Williams,
They are both excellent gunsmiths.
I think it will come down to several things:
Money, time, and preference.

I haven't spoke to Kirby recently but I think his time frame is longer than Chuck's.
The only way you will know the prices is to contact them and do an apples to apples comparison, but I think Chuck charges less than Kirby. How much is that difference? I couldn't say.

Preference-Only you can decide that.

I would have to say that if they were both using "like" components cost would be relatively close. I don't know Kirbys current time frame, but I do know he is extremely busy. I also know Kirby uses a lot of Bat receivers on these CheyTac class rifles and they can take 8-10 months to get. Have not had a rifle built by Chuck so in fairness I can not comment on his work.

The whole cheytac system is out of sight on its price. However it includes the full setup of rifle, ballistic computer and optics. Where the cheytac steps up to the mark is that if you are using the full system your hit probability at range goes through the roof. While there are other systems out there that can be chambered for the round, they just don't do what the cheytac system does. I have fired the cheytac manufactured system at 1200 yards and it makes shooting that range boring. I am sure that the other guys make tack drivers, however cheytac just built a better mousetrap with their system.
Having shot the Barret BORS as well, the cheytac (in my opinion) is a better rig. However the BORS is self-contained on the rifle once programmed. That part of it is superior. However the cheytac is more flexible in the field.

With good ballistic software to give accurate drops, shooting Mac's 375 Cheytac is also boring at 1200 yards.
It may take a little more time to get drops confirmed, but once they are there, they are there for that atmospheric condition.
Chuck will shoot the rigs he builds beyond 2k.
Whether you use Chuck or Kirby or someone of their caliber you are going to get great results for a lot less money.

Wow that must be nice to have a range to shoot out past 2000 yards. I guess I dont need it though, my current guns peter out at around 1500 until I get a bigger one built.

we were just out yesterday with the Barrett .416 and the AR-50, to do a side by side with/without the can at 1200yds, both guys shooting have never went further than that, i'm planning on putting out a couple vids with the 338 and 416 out to 2000+ when i get my bartlein in.

LW,
How far away are you from Gillette?
E

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSWow that must be nice to have a range to shoot out past 2000 yards. I guess I dont need it though, my current guns peter out at around 1500 until I get a bigger one built.

Understood.
Chuck does not have the 2k gong up now, but he had a 2300 or 2500 yard gong (if I have the distance right) set-up last summer.

Back