#10 bites the dust and a cripple at that!

bushpilotmexico

This was an interesting morning, up at 4:30 am, a bite to eat and then out to the carcass where I shot #8 and #9 last week.

I settled into my stand around 5:45 and just waited for something to show up. Around 6:15 I could see this yote hobbling down the hill towards the beef carcass.

It was light enough to shoot but just barely....I ranged her at 250 yards, cranked on 1.75 MoA, found her in the crosshairs and squeezed the trigger. I never heard the V-max hit and when I glanced up I saw this ball of fur heading up the hill at what looked like 150 mph. Couldn't kind of figure out how a cripple could move that fast. Now I'm starting to ask myself how I could have missed such an easy shot especially after whacking #8 at 400 yards and #9 at 350 yards the week before.

You can only cry for so long because misses do happen....as the light got better I began to see a whitish shape laying just to the right of and slightly below the beef carcass. Magpies were busy tearing up what was left of #9 sort of off to the left and a little higher.

I looked thru my scope and guess what...yup I had nailed that cripple yote and there must have been a second one and that was the one I saw high tailing it to safer ground.

Here is a photo of me in my stand:

Picture0041.jpg

The arrows show the beef carcass and #10

Here is a closer shot:

Picture0060-3.jpg

This photo shows the withered and crippled leg which is much shorter than the other.

Picture013-11.jpg

Picture008-24.jpg

That leg had been like that for a long time and from lack of use the nails had grown longer:

Picture017-5.jpg

Picture016-2.jpg

No Pathfinder this time but at least I have my blue gloves on!

Originally Posted By: TolleyYou have a sweeeeeet setup right there, congrats on #10.

She was a large female and well fleshed....I think her mousing days were over a long time ago but thanks to the odd beef carcass she was able to adapt.

Congrats BPM--The photos make it seem like that we are there with you--Really enjoy- THANKS...

Where will the count stop--"How many yotes can you kill on one pile of hamburger(BPM's word)
confused.gif

David

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeWay to go Cliff. He's gorgeous. Pretty neat on his cripple leg and long nails and toe hair.

Keep after 'em.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Actually I saw the same female, from a distance, last year with a group of young ones. She looked like she'd been around for a while. What amazes me is how she could survive a winter unless she learned to mouse with the cripple leg?

Back