what kind of rubber boots

I would say muck boots would be good for ya. Thats what I use and they work great for just about anything you are doing.

Tim

Ranger boots, got to get one with the zipper on the side! Makes it nice for putting on and taking off. But if you are going to any water trapping get some decent hip waders...

Lots of guys around here use rubber boots in winter.Muck boots are popular,although they have splitting problems.They are good about replacing them,but who wants the hassle.LaCrosse is the most popular.They are tough,have good traction,and last a long time.They have a good variety of insulation options too.

And,in case you haven't heard,Bradford came in a close second to Fargo,North Dakota for the worst winters in the USA.After the voting,we got hit with a blizzard.It just snowed today a little!

Always used hip boots for dirts sets and water sets. That way you leave less sent around the sets. I use elbow lenth rubber gloves also. Should be able to find some 1000 gram thinslate ones.

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttAlways used hip boots for dirts sets and water sets. That way you leave less sent around the sets. I use elbow lenth rubber gloves also. Should be able to find some 1000 gram thinslate ones.

When I was Trapping in the early 80's this is what I believed. But last year MythBusters a show on TV did one on trying to fool a Tracking Dogs nose. The last part of it had the guy take a shower to rinse all of his scent off and then dressed in two rubber suits, head to toe and covered his face with a gas mask and the dog still found him.
So do what you want but it is not necessary.

But the dog new what he was looking for. It may of not been human sent but I bet a new rubber suit has a smell of it's own. Little differant with a coyote walking around not knowing to look for a sertain sent and a tracking down that has been taught to follow a certain sent that it's told to follow. Probaly even started tracking from where the guy took off from.

Plus most of the mythbusters findings can be made to come out a differant way. Just because they get the outcome they are looking for half the time or they try somthing once or twice don't make it the rule.

Now if they dropped the guy out of the sky and the dog and handler had no known place to start, dog never smelled the runner or the suit then maybe. But like I said the dog knew what he was looking for. Thats what they do.

you cannot fool a coyotes nose.. quit trying...

put something down the hole that is so appealing he [beeep] himself and has to stick his nose in it... whammo

You can't fool it, but you can try to give him less to smell. The less sent you leave around a set the less sent the coyote will smell around your set.

Quit trying....heck of an attitude you got there. Or maybe your to lazy to put a little effert into it.

How many times have you dressed a Deer or an Elk out and returned the next day and found a Coyote eating on the pile or found it completely gone. I don't know how you gut an animal but I leave all kinds of scent around...

Also with the amount of people out in the wilderness. Coyotes smell humans all the time.

Coyotes are opportunists and if you leave something there for them to eat your scent will not matter much.

I will honestly say that if I was to start Trapping again before I saw the MythBusters show I would have put on my Rubber, but since I have seen that show I don't believe it's nescessary.

It's just like some people say never to call down wind. I bet I have shot more Coyotes facing down wind than I have ever shot calling into the wind.

In the end it only matters what you believe.

I don't wear rubber boots. I wear bass pro snake boots
thumbup.gif
great traction, waterproof, insulated, & added bonus with the zipper on the side. Besides, You just never know when the snakes are gonna come out in the cold weather..lol j/k
They work for fishin' all the same, when your out climbing around rocks late night or early morning.

What I do to help eliminate scent at a set is to "wash" your boots and hands with dirt.When I get about 50 feet from where I intend to set,I scrub my boots and hands with a couple of handfuls of dirt.By the time your scent starts to get strong on hands and feet,you should be done there.Also,people make comparisons between hunting and trapping.They are two totally different things.If you shoot a deer and leave a gut pile,a coyote or fox"expects"human scent,as a human act occurred.At a trap set,you are imitating an act that occurred because of another predator.No human scent should be there.It would be unnatural.

hey frozen butt... stick this in your "lazy" pipe and smoke it...HAHA

bob023.jpg

fur001.jpg

has nothing to do with laziness... i just happen to be the type that doesn't believe in scent control for canine trapping.. doesn't mean I am lazy or can't catch them now does it? LOL

i just happen to be the type that doesn't believe in scent control for canine trapping.. doesn't mean I am lazy or can't catch them now does it?

even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile...

lol...just joking...

i always wear rubber boots think thats why i have such bad arthritis in my feet...

Back