I guess it could have been better...??

venatic

I should have posted this early last week but I have been catching up from the time off hunting. If I told you this story in person it would take me several hours...just ask Sean(Yellowhammer) or Cody(cbosshog79).
grin.gif

My Mom and Dad came over for a long week-end so dad and I went over to East Texas to shoot some crows and make a stand or two since my dad wanted to get a coyote with his H&R .223. We had lunch with Sean(Yellowhammer) and Chris( Current Egg Shoot Champion Extraordinaire) and they were going hunting that evening as well. Dad and I shot some crows and at dusk we made one stand and I positioned dad and told him where I thought the coyote would make an appearance from.... well the coyote popped out right in front of dad about 25yds and well.... we had a mmmisss. I was looking downwind but got around quick enough to get a bullet in him as he left. This was Saturday evening so Sunday after they left headed to Mississippi I made a decision I had been pondering on.
IMG_0369.jpg

I had been trying to get some time to run down to S Tx to hunt some new property that a friend had recently acquired and was getting reports back that they were seeing coyotes all the time. I have hunted the land he already owned there and although it was good hunting the coyotes were pretty educated as everyone on the family land that hunts I think owns a Foxpro.... yea that's my fault too so I cannot whine too much.
cool.gif

Well to make it worth the long drive down there from Waco I called another friend who had mentioned his hunting lease even further south needed some predator control to see if he was available to hunt a day and he was so I headed to his place first.
It took 7 hours from Central Texas to get to his ranch... could have made it faster if that danged Cabela's wasn't right on the way.
blushing.gif
After visiting with the ranch manager a few minutes he told us where he had been seeing what he thought were the only TWO coyotes on the 4800 acres. We called him back 10 minutes later on the cell phone and told him now there is just ONE.
Yes first stand called a pair and I got the male. Second stand just at dark called in a single and I got him as well.
After dark I went back switched to the night time rig and I called until midnight and only called one coyote and two bobcats... I got the coyote but they did not allow you to take bobcats so they got passes.
Next morning no takers on the first four stands then called a double got both and then a single got him and by then the wind had picked up and my compadre had to leave so I headed north to my next stop. By the way, If your thinking why don't he let his partner shoot well I tried to encourage him to take his gun to the stands but he was scared he would miss. I finally convince him to bring his Savage 99 250-3000 and that was the stand I call the double on and I am waiting for him to shoot as the coyotes are right in front of him and I glance over and he is on his CELL PHONE.
lol.gif
Here is the group photo. I will make a second post to continue.....
IMG_0372.jpg

Thanks guys... I was trying to make one last hurrah before shutting it down until next fall but never thought about winding down in that fashion.

Also might mention that hunting in South Texas this time of year can have its perils as well.
Killed three of these the second day hunting...almost stepped on this one.
Notice my killing stick in the top of the photo.... did not want to mess up the stand by shooting.

IMG_0374.jpg

Back