Wisconsin Folks-Scanning Resolution-WAAAAAAHOOOOOO!!

Moosetrot

Well, said I'd do it and I finally did. Been awful busy but I've come up with a resolution concerning Wisconsin predator hunters being able to use an artificial light to scan while hunting in the dark. I've run it by a pile of folks, including a Warden Supervisor and all have told me it will most likely work.

Now, the Congress does not like "shotgun resolutions" but go ahead and do what you want with this. Depending on how it goes, though, if your county passes it, and you get the invitation to whatever committee of the Congress it is assigned to, I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know so I coud be there to.

Title: USE OF HANDHELD ARTIFICIAL LIGHTS TO "SCAN" WHILE PREDATOR HUNTING

Coyotes, fox and raccoons are predator species that have serious effects on other species. Coyotes, in particular,have been noted as the most serious predator of the Whitetail Deer in Wisconsin. One of the most effective times to hunt coyotes is during the darkness, however the influx of wolves makes this practice risky and less efficient without the ability to use an artificial light to "scan" the area to locate, and verify the target. Current Wisconsin law, in place for several years allows the use of an artificial light while hunting predators at the point of kill, and has not resulted in any notable safety incidents, but does not allow "scanning".

BE IT RESOLVED, that the Conservation Congress at its annual meeting held in LaCrosse County on Arpil 11, 2011, recommends that the Conservation Congress work with the Department to take action to correct this situation by introducing rulle change to allow an individual engaged in hunting coyotes, foxes, and raccoons to use handheld artificial lights to "scan" under the follwoing stipulations:

1. The hunter must be a minimum of 200 feet from their vehicle and in compliance with state firearms discharge laws and/or local ordinances regrading firearms discharge or use of lights.

2. The hunter must be stationary and not changing positions while scanning.

3. The hunter must be clearly using a predator call and angaged in predator hunting.

4. "Scanning" may only be use during times an areas that there are no gun deer seasons in effect at the time.

Name of author: Ray Heidel-private citizen.
Address: W8043 Hwy. ZN
Onalaska, WI 54650
County Introduced: La Crosse
Phone: 608-781-7620

FEEL FREE TO PM OR CONTACT ME SOMEHOW IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS.

I think we can get this done, folks!

Moosetrot

Last edited:
Spell check

rulle
follwoing
The word an used in stipulations #4 is it suppose to be in or and?

Good luck with your rules change.

Last edited:
Thanks! The original is all spell-checked and ready to go. Tried doing a cut and paste and gave up, typing it in here while watching a movie and dozing.

Moosetrot

Thanks! We'll have to wait and see how it went. I have not seen the results of the ballot voting on the Resolutions
yet. I think it passed here in LaCrosse County and if it did it will go on to the Congress. If that happens (and I'll let you folks know for sure!)I will be asking you to contact your county Congress delegates and encourage them to support it at the convention in May.

I'm optimistic on this one!

Moosetrot

Well, folks, it passed in LaCrosse County so it looks like we're on our way! I'll keep in touch on here as it moves along. When we get a little closer to the Conservation Congress Convention in May I'm probably going to ask all you Wisconsin folks to contact your county CC delegates and encourage them to support it.

This might take a couple years but we're on the way an I'm really optimistic about it!

Let's git 'er done!

Moosetrot

Folks-Please see my post on this Resolution in the Predator Hunting forum...then contact your county Conservation Congress delegates!

Thanks!

Moosetrot

Okay folks, this Resolution is coming before the Endangered Resources and Law Enforcement Committee of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress on this Saturday, August 27. Normal procedure is for the author of the Resolution to attend the meeting, however I cannot be there due to other commitments.

The next best thing is to have folks from Wisconsin contact the members, especially the Chairman of the Committee (Al Shook)and encourage them to vote in favor of Resolution 320311 "Use of Handheld Artificial Lights to Scan While Predator Hunting" at their meeting on August 27. Names and contact information for the Committee members can be found on the Conservation Congress link on the WDNR website. I will be contacting the entire Committee myself for sure.

This Resolution was written under the guidance of a Warden Supervisor from La Crosse County who has since retired. He figured it contained all the necessary aspects for law enforcement to accept it. I think it can fly, but sometimes the CC committee process gets sidetracked a little, so encouragement from all of YOU prior to the meeting would be really helpful.

I think we can get this done!

Thanks!

Moosetrot

Last edited:
Great News!

The Resolution passed the Committee and will most likely be on the Srping Hearings Questions in April of 2012! This means it's moving through the process and hopefully we can get 'er done!

The only concern was trying to define the difference between "scanning" and "shining". We'll get that figured out, though, so the public vote does not get confused.

We'll probably need to organize somewhat before that time. Will keep you all updated.

Thanks to all of you who helped out on this!

Moosetrot

As we go through the next steps I will post on here. It may take more phone calls, emails, etc., most likely some time around the first of the year.

I think it will wind up as a Spring Hearings question and at that point we will need to get someone in just about every county to speak on behalf of, and hopefully get the public to vote in support of it in as many counties as possible.

This ain't my first rodeo at this kind of thing, but all the help you folks gave helped push it along. Let's keep it up and maybe some time in the future we'll be able to scan in Wisconsin!

Congrats to all!

Moosetrot (aka Ray Heidel-Onalaska, WI)

Back