#'s 8 and 9 of the season

bushpilotmexico

Went to a few regular spots early this morning with no luck so I decided to cruise down to the property of a rancher friend of mine to check out a couple of carcasses.

It was about 9:30 am and while driving the highway I spotted a yote trying to chase off several ravens who had congregated on the carcass looking for an early breakfast.

There is a steep bank on the south side of the roadway so I pulled over and didn't shut the Pathfinder off until a large transport drove by me.

Then I climbed up the bank and slid under the barbed wire fence hoping the coyote hadn't seen me. I crawled over to a pile of rocks and when I looked there were 2 coyotes that were on the hill about 50 yards above the MacDonalds hamburger.

I ranged them at 400 yards and clicked 5 MoA on my Sako 6BR. The coyotes seemed more intent watching the ravens and a couple of bald eagles.

I had a decent rest so I cranked the Nikon Buckmaster up to 18 power, found the first yote in the cross hairs and squeezed off the shot. I could hear the 75 grain Hornady V-max hit and the coyote crumbled to the ground. Naturally the second one took off running.

Picture012-13.jpg

You can see the carcass just below and to the left of the large pine tree in the distance.

This shot shows the coyote where it fell

Picture015-5.jpg

The sun was nice and warm with an outside temperature of around 57 degrees so I decided to just nestle down in the rock pile and wait and see if the second one would reappear.

After 30 minutes I decided that it wasn't going to show up so I packed up my gear and started walking over to coyote #1. I had only moved forward 50 yards when low and behold the second yote was on the same hillside moving over to his fallen comrade. He gave his old buddy a sniff and then walked about 20 yards to the left.

I sat down, ranged him at 350 yards, cranked on my MoA, set up the shooting sticks, found the yote in the cross hairs and squeezed off the round. Again I could hear the V-max hit home and the coyote rolled down the hill.

This is where I sat

Picture0171.jpg

In the photo the arrows show where the coyotes lay.

All in all a pretty good day

Picture018-5.jpg

Blood on the old Pathfinder and I'm sporting my blue gloves.

Great story, great plan, excellent patients and darn fine shooting! I like that you posted pics of your stand location and downed 'yotes with notations. It is always interesting to see how successful guys get it done.

Looking at your pics and not being the kind of shooter you are, I can see that I may well have tried to get the extra yardage closer by creeping to the far fence of the corral. I'm not an impressive shooter and every little bit counts. Pics like yours help a guy think out a situation.

Nice shooting. I would have had to try and sneak closer (on up to the fence) to get within my range. Thanks for the story!

I agree with the other guys that is some great shooting..and a double to boot.

You could change your name to "FUR-SNIPER" and I couldn't object.
thumbup.gif

keep it up-

David

Gorgeous country! Not bad shooting either
wink.gif
thumbup.gif

Would love to hunt in coutry like that. Really flat country down here and brush or high grass makes for a different type of hunting.
As always, enjoyed the story, keep 'em coming.

Regards,
hm

Back