Called up a coyote with a radio collar! (video)

if I ever see that I'm killing the coyote, by any means necessary, ethics and sportsmanship be dammed, Kinda mostly is normally anyways. The collar would be hanging on the wall next to the coyote tail.

t/c223encore.

Not to throw a wet blanket on the enthusiasm but someone went through a lot of expense and trouble to put that collar on the dog for research. It's not like a band on a goose or duck.

I'd let the coyote walk.

Originally Posted By: pk1Not to throw a wet blanket on the enthusiasm but someone went through a lot of expense and trouble to put that collar on the dog for research. It's not like a band on a goose or duck.

I'd let the coyote walk.

Understood completely, but even I have to admit that even in the video in slow motion...I could hardly detect the collar on that individual. At real time speeds, I would have killed him(or tried atleast) and felt bad afterwards. We all know how quick this sport is, so some leniency is afforded.

Personally, If I KNEW that the coyote had a collar on, I would let it walk. But I wouldn't think negatively of someone who felt otherwise.

Chupa

If that person was a young kid neither would I. And if it were a case not knowing, sure. But to knowingly kill a research animal with a radio collar is uncalled for and in my neck of the woods it carries a fine.

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy
pk1 said:
Personally, If I KNEW that the coyote had a collar on, I would let it walk. But I wouldn't think negatively of someone who felt otherwise.

Chupa

Chupa, collared wildlife is often a part of a college student's Master's degree project.
There's a very good chance that, if it had been killed and reported, that yote would have been an "X" in a "Hunter Mortality" block on a form, and just another piece of data in the project.
Sometimes the collar material disintegrates and it falls off after the battery is dead.

Last edited:
Any coyote that comes in with jewelry safety off finger on the trigger and empty caseings flyin, not a second on that issue from me.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: t/c223encoreif I ever see that I'm killing the coyote, by any means necessary, ethics and sportsmanship be dammed, Kinda mostly is normally anyways. The collar would be hanging on the wall next to the coyote tail.

t/c223encore.

So rich...

Once again, t/c, you fail to disappoint on so many levels
bored.gif

I agree with some of the posters who state that maybe the coyote is more valuable to someone if it's alive with the collar intact, though I would be curious as to the who & why of the situation.

Originally Posted By: pk1Nice to know what kind of "hunters" we have here.

Tell me were it states in Utah Regs. that it is illegal to shoot any collard animal? Just because where you live it's not legal dosn't give the right to judge me. In Calif. it is illegal to shoot cougars, not in Utah, so I get a premit for a coug. in Utah and I fill my tag does that mean you will think of me as a poacher? Get off your soap box!

Nothing wrong with shooting a radio collared critter in season. Most of the time the radio collars are not recovered after the study is done. Recovered radio collars can usually be rebuilt cheaper than buying new ones for other studies. Always best to report the kill for data collection and surrender the radio collar. There will usually be info on the collar for returning it.

I judge people by their words and actions.

The radio collar is only part of the issue. It took time, money and effort to put the tag on that coyote. If they wanted a report of it's death they would've put an inert type of band or collar on it.

And I'm not on a soap box. I call em as I see em. Guys who are just looking for the next thing to kill kinda bug me.

I won't be back on this thread but feel free to flame. I'm sure others here would like to have their behavior justified.

Originally Posted By: pk1The radio collar is only part of the issue. It took time, money and effort to put the tag on that coyote. If they wanted a report of it's death they would've put an inert type of band or collar on it.

If an inert type of band or collar was installed, a researcher would never know when the animal died and the animal would likely not be recovered soon enough to determine cause of death. They usually put radio collars on animals to monitor movements and determine cause of death. All info collected is valuable. If everyone passed up shooting a radio collared animal, researchers would never know what portion of the population is killed by hunters. Whether an animal dies from getting hit by a vehicle, a disease, starvation, or shot by a hunter, these are all random events that researchers want to know about. No sense in hunters giving radio collared animals a pass and biasing a study.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: pk1I judge people by their words and actions.

The radio collar is only part of the issue. It took time, money and effort to put the tag on that coyote. If they wanted a report of it's death they would've put an inert type of band or collar on it.

If an inert band or collar was installed, a researcher would never know when the animal died and the animal would likely not be recovered soon enough to determin cause of death. All info collected is valuable. If everyone passed up shooting a radio collared animal, researchers would never know what portion of the population is killed by hunters.
Fursniper

Thanks for having a level head. pk1 struck a nerve with me.

I will have to re read my game abstracts with regards to shooting a coyote with a collar. If the law says it's fine to shoot, then I shoot. I will let you know what I find out.

I went online to re read the abstracts, it is Legal to harvest a animal with a collar or tags. They require that You call them and answer some questions and then return the colloar or tags. Good old Massachusetts.

The coyote with a radio collar that I called in and shot in 2003 was 170yds away and facing me,I did not see the collar at all. When I got home I called the Tel# that was on the collar and told them what happened. The guy said that they had a few of them retumed from hound hunters and the one I returned was the frist one returned by someone that was calling. It was no big deal. They didn't want the coyote, just the collar but I gave them the coyote too. When I dropped it off at the office the lady that was there just smilled and said thanks!

We obviously couldn't tell that the coyote was even collared until I watched the footage on the 42" at home. That' why there was no comment or commentary about the collar in our post stand interview. That being said, the only reason that a coyote gets collared around here it to gather information on territories, coyote travel, and research for depredation purposes. I'm willing to bet that no one would care one bit that the coyote was shot. Especially by a predator caller hunting legally within his right to do so.

I hope to call him in again. That's my legal right.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceWe obviously couldn't tell that the coyote was even collared until I watched the footage on the 42" at home.

Exactly. If that was me on that stand chances are I would of shot at that coyote as well...unless I COULD see the collar (which I couldn't on the clip.) Whether or not it is legal to take a collared coyote, I personally wouldn't. It's obvious it's providing somebody some kind of info...no need to take it especially since there is another one over the next hill.

Originally Posted By: tawnoperIt's obvious it's providing somebody some kind of info...

Unless the study is to see whether or not that coyote would respond to a distress call in the wild. Then they would need the coyote to be called in and harvested to gather their data. Then I would be helping their research. I'm nice like that...

Back