carbon fiber handguard?

cherokee305

Thinking of putting a DPMS carbon fiber handguard on, do they thread on like the free float handguard? It doesn't say on their website.

I've put on the DPMS's before. The epoxy seems to hold really well. The first one, I just used the epoxy. Then I had an upper built and the builder put that tube on it for me and drilled it and tapped the nut underneath and installed multiple allen head screws, so it could be removed easily. MUCH better idea. That is how I do them now. Sounds like Scott may have figured out a better product. I'd also like to hear what he is using now.

also very interested in this. Like the looks of the pri but can't see that it is worth the coin yet. Would love to know what Scott is using also.

I have a Clark's Custom carbon fiber ff float tube on one of mine and it is epoxied on. For my next build, I'm going to look at the Alexander Arms tube. It looks pretty good, and I don't need a tube for hunting with all the rails.

Its Jimmy Clarks jr. custom tube. The PRI one is super nice too, but very spendy.

I'll take a pic of the Clark one this afternoon.

Have you ever had any trouble with the glue not holding on the barrel nut and handguard? I get nervous using glue here but I'm guessing there is some heavy duty glue a guy could get that will hold?

I used a DPMS because I got it super cheap and I live 20 minutes away from their shop in case I have any problems. I was also looking at the Clark or Hiperform handguards. If you get a rifle length to cover the carbine length gas block (like I did) think about drilling a couple small holes or something so you still have access to the gas block set screws. I didn't so if something goes wrong, I may have to destroy the handguard to fix something underneath it...oh well. It's an RRA so I think I'll be alright!

Back