Whats wrong with my 20 MOA base?

dunkintn

Heres the deal guys. I recently bought a Rem. 700 SPS Tactical. I've thought about playing around with long range shooting so I also got a 20 moa base by EGW to stick on it. I have weaver skeleton 4 hole low rings and a Bushnell Elite 4200 tactical, first focal plane, 6-24x50 with mildot ret. and .1 mil adjustments on the turrets. With a 100 yd zero shooting 168g Federal Gold Medal Match I have 5.5 mils of elevation to go up with. At 3.438 moa per mil that comes out to 18.9 moa. My question is why? Where did all my adjustment go? If I didn't have the 20 moa base would I run out of clicks before I got zeroed? I put the base on it to gain extra elevation and I don't even have what the base is labeled as. Could it be the rings? I know the base is not on backwards. The scope has 13 mils of adjustment from top to bottom. It has 7.5 mils down and 5.5 up zeroed at 100yds. Could somebody hel me out here please? Thanks

If no one chimes in on this... You might consider sending a PM to Jack Roberts... He has a bunch of experience along these lines and may have an answer for you...

Good Luck with it...Another option would be to send an e-mail to the Bushnell Customer Service.. They know your scope much better than most others...

I dont really have an explanation for this either...

I can tell you that Im having somewhat the same dilema. I put the weaver tactical 20 MOA base on my 264 and when I put the scope back on and rezeroed, I gained a whole whopping 8 clicks. I didn't and still dont get it...I shouldve had to go down a $hit ton by adding a 20 MOA base you would think, which in turn would give me all the rest of the way to go up, but it didn't. My zero was only a couple or few inches off from the regular base. Go figure...

I wonder if its just because its a $30 base? Never know these days, always seem to get what you pay for...

I recently bought two Schmidt & Bender Classic 4-16 X 50 Varmint (First focal plane) scopes to put on two Remington 700s that I had. I bought two DNZ Game Reaper mounts, set them up, went to the range, shot both and ran out of elevation on both guns 1" to 1.5" below the bullseye. Scratched my head and called S&B tech support. The guy was very helpful and explained that first focal plane scopes have about half the elevation adjustments than the typical second plane scopes that we all normally use. He recommended a 20 MOA base to bring them to zero. I bought two new bases, went to the range, and now they both are shooting great. I'm not familiar with Mil Dot scopes, but just wanted to answer your question regarding reaching zero without a 20 MOA base.

It's a factory rifle, so your barrel may not be 'square' to the action to the point of causing an extremely low p.o.i.
Therefore, most of your scope's UP elevation is going toward getting your p.o.i corrected to a 100yd zero.
Simple fix is to buy a base with more cant...

Song Dog Down,
Did you know that you can adjust the 'zero' on a S&B's turrets to better use the elevation adjustment they provide?

linky...

Yeah....something seems to be not "square" on your action. The scope base should have more built in adjustment in it than that. Scope base MOA isn't rocket science, and EGW has been in the game long enough to figure that out. You could measure each end and do the math yourself, but I wouldn't forsee the problem being in the base. I'd bet it's a bit off at the action, as a tiny bit off at the face of the action is going to throw it off a noticeable amount down-range?

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I've decided on either shimming and bedding the base or getting one with more MOA.

Try lapping the rings. They might be out of alignment. If you don't have lapping setup handy, try flip-flopping the rings. I know its sounds odd, but I've seen swapping thme make a difference.

Back