Sierra .224 - 69 Gr Matchking?

DAB

To start with I all my measurements are from Base of case to Ogive of bullet. My press is tight no slop, my dies are adjusted properly. Using the same shell holder for all stages.

Loaded up 20 rounds of the Sierra 69 GR MK. The seating depth is varying from the shortest to the longest 0.010 inches using Hornady seating dies. So I thought I would change to my RCBS seating dies and seat the bullets down another 0.005 Inches starting with the shortest cartridge. Well I get the same results, from the shortest to the longest it is still varying 0.010 inches.

I am wondering what is going on so I measure a few bullets out of the box. From base to tip of the bullet varies 0.001 Inches on the ones I measured. Then I measured from the base of the bullet to the Ogive of the same bullets and got a spread of 0.005 Inches.

This all got me to wondering about the Sierra 52 Gr. Matchking loads I already have loaded up setting on the shelf. I go grab 5 rounds and measure them, what a surprise! the 52 Gr Matchkings only varied 0.001 inches from base of case to Ogive.

At this point I am thinking that Sierra's quality control is slipping at least on the 69 Gr Matchkings.

Have any of you seen the same variation of 0.010 inches give or take when loading any of Sierra's Matchking bullets measuring from base of case to ogive of the bullet of a loaded round????

I am using Hornady Lock -N - Load bullet Comparator tools.

DAB

Last edited:
i guess i havent paid much attention to this. i have worked up a load in my 223 so that they are touch at 100 yards and 5 shots are 1in or less.

DAB,
Call Sierra on the phone and tell them you are not pleased with their bullets. They have always been responsive whenever I've spoken with them and I'll bet they'll replace those bullets for you.

I shoot the 69 SMK also in my .223, but I do not measure as you do. Just COL and have no issues with sub moa.
Call sierra and let us know what they have to say.

I know this may seem elementary but have u checked to be sure your primers are seated completely and not sticking out ever so slightly?

A number of years ago Mic McPherson did an article on bullet seating depth variation from bullet to bullet, and he mentioned that the std. seating stems contact the bullet too far forward and not close enough to the ogive. He had the stem redrilled and his problem went away, as i remember it--been awhile.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteI know this may seem elementary but have u checked to be sure your primers are seated completely and not sticking out ever so slightly?

A number of years ago Mic McPherson did an article on bullet seating depth variation from bullet to bullet, and he mentioned that the std. seating stems contact the bullet too far forward and not close enough to the ogive. He had the stem redrilled and his problem went away, as i remember it--been awhile.

Elementary my dear Watson, Not at all. Yes I did check the primers , all is well there. As you noticed that I set the bullets back 0.005 inches with my RCBS seating die, and the reason for that is the other point you mention about the seating stem. The RCBS seating stem hits the bullet farther down on the bullet than the Hornady seating stem.

OK, I did contact Sierra by phone and I did not get a satisfactory answer. They all but told me to kiss off. Me thinks I will call again and talk to the supervisor.

DAB

Its the bullets.Sierra is the best company for lot to lot variations,but still produced in large lots.Not much of an issue until you get way down range.Can be fixed with meplat trimmer if knowing about the various O.A.L.becomes mental burden.

So how do they shoot?
If the shortest and the longest go into the same hole or the touches the next hole, does it really matter?

Cobweb
I didn't shoot any. I pulled them and sent the whole box to Sierra.

The Ogive will come no where close to touching the rifling / lands, as they all have to fit into the Magazine of my AR.

If they send me a new box I will load some up and send them down range and see how they group/

Maybe I was just expecting to much.
I am going to buy a seating die from Forester that has the Micrometer Adj. I see how they say to use it and I will be able to get them all the same or at least within .001" of being the same. It will add an extra step in seating, but what the heck I got till I die to git-r-done.
thumbup.gif

Thanks for all the info and insight guys.

Oh well, on with the show.

DAB

It's the bullets. If everyone that seated bullets measured them this thread would be a mile long. There has to be a better way of seating bullets more uniformly, I've been looking for alternatives.

Try getting a set of benchrest seating dies and the problem will go away.

Quote:. There has to be a better way of seating bullets more uniformly,
If the bullet measurement from the base of the bullet to the ogive is not consistent and they are seated so that the ogive measurement to the cartridge base is consistent, you will be running into pressure variations when the cartridge is fired...as the base of the bullet will be set at different depths in the case, relative to the amount of powder...

I'm surprised at the perception of attitude received from Sierra... They are usually really concerned about quality control...

Having to check each bullet, prior to seating will be a real pain in the neck, unless you routinely weigh them as well..

I've talked to people that do shooting competion. I was told get a Wilson seating die for use on an arbor press.

The question is do I want to get this involved and my answer is "No".

Originally Posted By: cobwebSo how do they shoot?
If the shortest and the longest go into the same hole or the touches the next hole, does it really matter?

$64,000 question; and answer!

Back