Predator hunting in NV

I must confess I live in the lower half of the state in Henderson to be exact.
have a great day

------------------
skinner

I'm down here in Henderson as well. I'm looking at getting into coyote hunting. I just got a howler delivered in a bunch of other stuff I recently ordered. The howler is a Sceery open reed. I'm thinking about taking the truck out to the hills tomorrow (Saturday) morning to play around with it some. Even in the garage my practicing is driving the fiance and the local dogs nuts.

What I would like to do in the meantime though is to meet up with somebody and learn a few things.

Right now my "problem" is lack of proper armament for coyote harvesting. My selections are: .22LR and .22 Mag pistol, .44 Mag pistol (currently trying to get a scope mounted) and a .30-06 deer rifle. Supposedly there are some "light" varmit 30-06 rounds but I hear they don't fly well. I've also got a 3" chamber 12ga. but with a 18" barrel it's designed for 2 legged predator protection and can't see it as much use.

Now I'd love to pick up a new rifle in .223, however, trying to spend the money on that real soon would get me in a world of trouble with my other half. I don't know which is worse, not having the money, or having the money but not being able to spend it
frown.gif

So while I can't do much for shooting (unless they can get called in real close) I would love to go along to learn and maybe watch the back door!

Yotehunter, I am going to move your topic to the members clubhouse forum. This is nothing against you or your topic, we are just trying to keep this forum in the context of HOW TO HUNT THE HUNTERS.

------------------
It`s not the size of the weapon, it`s the force of attack!

David Neff

Broncoglenn
Welcome to the forum, Its great your taking an intrest in predator hunting. Your 12ga with 3in mag is a good start same with your 44 mag. Try Wall Mart for a inexpensive rifle. You might not have the long range capability, But that just means you can learn how to coax them in close. If you do call one in and it hangs up out of range just dont take a shot or let it know your there. Wait until the yote is gone then sneak out of the area. You can return later when you have your rifle. Try to hook up with skinner it sounds like he is in your area. Let me know how your doing.
E mail me at [url=mailto:yotehunter1235@aol.com

BRONCOGLENN: That is one of the GOOD things about hunting "YOTES".You can find them Everywhere,and hunt them with "Whatever" firearm you choose.That :06 will work just fine with any leftover DEER loads left from last Season.Get some #4 Buck in 3" for that short barreled 12 and you're ready to give the local Coyotes a bad time.Try Rance Spurlock's "Gun Shop" in Henderson on East Basic for your Ammo needs,he may even be able to get you some 125 grn. store bought loads for that :06.Welcome---

AZBigGame and YoteHunter, thank you for the suggestions. I'd really like to get out sometime and give things a try.

AZ I noticed you are down in this area, do you have any plans to go out anytime soon?

I was thinking about talking to a shop to have some loads worked up. My biggest concern is how well a light .30-06 will fly, but I guess there is only one way to find out!

I tried out my calling today along the pipeline road south of Henderson. I think I'm getting the hang of the call. Hopefully I didn't scare them off into the next time zone. It was mid day and very windy. Didn't hear any responses.

Again, if anyone is planning on going out and wouldn't mind someone tagging along, I'd love to acompany.

Glenn

Broncoglenn
Thanks for the resond, I must have overlooked your 30.06 in your previous response. Its alittle overkill but it should work just fine with the right loads. I noticed in your responce that you said you didnt hear a response to your calling. If you were howling then you should expect that you would hear something if a yote was in the area,(MAYBE)but not always. If you were using a distress call then dont plan on hearing any response. Predators are hunters just like you and they are not going to anounce thier approach. If you do get a vocal responce from a distress call it usally means that they are on to you,(again maybe). This is why the majority of the time you will see them before you hear anything, unless you hear their approach in the brush and again they have a way to appear right in front of you unanounced. If i was in your area you could tag along with me, Im sure someone will step up in your area and help you. I have met 2 people in my area in this forum, Im going hunting with one of them tomorrow and another next weekend and im sure we will all learn something from each other,and get us a couple yotes in the process. Keep at it, keep us informed.

------------------
HUNT AND BE HUNTED

Hello there fellow Hendersonite aka BroncoGlen
I am skinner you name the time and we will get together and go see what we can see. you can e-mail me at bpalsgrove@hotmail.com or if you like call me at 565-6610 ask for Buck when you do
where were you at off pipeline? could you see the power station. I did some calling out that way about two weeks ago and I was able two call in two dogs, one went down one got educated I had a senior moment and blew it
let me warn you first once you start the habit of hunting the coyote it will get in to your blood and their is no cure you can only feed the needed.
get back to me I can feel the twitch in my toes already starting
Skinner

------------------
skinner

I have a little brother that is in the Air Force and has just moved to Henderson. He is goimg to be interrested in hookin up with someone for predatorhunting. Email me and I'll put him in contact with you when he gets settled.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Never underestimate the power of stupid people!

[This message has been edited by James Lindley (edited 03-17-2002).]

Just to let anyone concerned know that my user name has been changed from yotehunter1235 to yotehunter1239. Big change huh.

------------------
HUNT AND BE HUNTED

hello Mr Lindley have your brother e-mail me when he get ready and I am sure their will be some fun to be had
email address is [url=mailto:bpalsgrove@hotmail.com

Back