Which would you use for squirrel and ground squirrel hunting

the noobie

Im still not sold on the Smith and Wesson 15-22 and for what it is its just a lot of money. Ive been reading away on them and been down to town and looked at them but still not sure. I also like 10/22's.

Gun #1 S&W 15-22 with a red dot

Gun #2 10/22 with a Blue (kinda like my shoe laces, im just attracted to blue things) Tactical Solutions barrel and a Black Houge stock and a Regular 3-9 (maybe 4-12 or bigger) scope

Which would you choose for an all around squirrel/ground squirrel gun? some shots might be from a good rest, others might be free hand (10 yard shots), and some might be while leaning against a tree or off of a tree stump for a rest.

heres what i use out to 75 yards its a Small game killing machine!!
DSCF4019.jpg

DSCF4017.jpg

and at 16 bucks for 250 Hunting pellets
its cheap to shoot
this is my tuned RWS mod 48 Sidelever air rifles
This gun has anchored many tree rats, crows and 3 fox this year for me as well as a 87 yard possum!!
and for my close up work i like htis baby
Photo161.jpg

Last edited:
Outta your 2 choices I would go with the 10-22. Very good guns and cheap to shoot. Also, you'll have tons of different options for your "unique" look.

Ground squirrels? 22 Mag in a bolt gun. 17 HMR does a good job too.. I have shot em with just about everything.

ehh no desire for a .17... ammo is kind of expensive, i like being able to go shoot 500 .22 shells and not cry at how much i spent and the squirrels and ground squirrels are all within 50 yards (cant see them past that) so the .22 with some CCI quikshoks are devastating.

What about a M&P with a scope and a red dot? both on quick detach bases for quick swaping? Im still liking the 10/22 but im still like the M&P

Scratch the M&P I didnt know i could get a Dedicated .22lr upper for about the same price.

Thinking about getting one of these

Then getting something like a plum crazy lower.

I was talking to my dad about buying a barrel for a new 10/22 and he said if i wanted it he would give me his 10/22 for the price he paid for it new ($85) So im going to take him up on the offer and leave it stock for now. It works just fine for killing gophers, and IMO its a bit nicer than the new ones because its all metal insides. His is scratched around the action but thats an easy fix.

So that leaves me back to getting my AR style .22
w00t.gif
The spikes dedicated uppers are too much but from what ive read the CMMG are good little set ups on a budget.

CZ 452 Lux in .22 LR. Ground squirrels at 100 yards is not difficult at all. You'll need to spend quite a bit to get a 10/22 to shoot as good, if ever.

CZ452_Ultra-Lux.jpg

I have a bone stock 10-22 carbine model with a 3x9x40 on it. Not sure if I just got a good one or they are all good, but at 50 yards I can hit eggs free hand. Not saying this is an impossible feat or anything, just that it is an accurate fun to shoot rifle.

Last edited:
I've been shooting a 10/22 with a Bushnell 3-9X40 for years. With subsonic rounds, I get a nickle-sized group @50yds. That's with a completely stock rifle. It's been very effective on tree rats (yum!). I wouldn't be all that eager to change what Bill R. made so well.

anyone have a Boyds SS evolution stock on their 10/22? Think it would be hard to use for gopher hunting? its not my "go to" gopher gun but sometimes it gets taken out

600-511-2T.jpg

Go with a 10/22. Everyone needs one of those in their collection. You can also custom the heck out of them and parts parts are easy to find for them, and fairly cheap. and it won't hurt the wallet as far as ammo goes.

I can Second the 10-22 suggestions as well. My cousin shoots mine now that I got my savage. You can walk in shots out past 250 if you wanted, and as far as you caqn see the bullet splash in the scope and correct, I used to, but this 17HMR is the new favorite.

t/c223encore.

Alright im 100% sure im going with the customizing my 10/22 route. IMO it will be more useful and it will be fun because it will be my own, while there will be a few people with similar guns there wont be quite as many.

Ive got to go to Cabelas before I choose my Stock but im looking at the Boyds SS Evolution, just going to make sure i like the feel of it.

Barrels im not sure. Ive found two barrels both close to the same price.

#1 Tactical Solutions. Ive heard they are pretty good shooters and if i got them i could also get the extended mag release and the color would be a very close match. They are also fairly light weight so i can get my look i want with the .920 barrel but not get all of the weight

#2 is a Whistle Pig barrel

Whistle pig gun barrels

Close to the same price, and ive heard people having luck with them shoot decent at 200 yards (dont know for sure)

I just cant decide, im thinking Tacsol just because i can go to Cabelas and pick mine out and inspect it before i buy it.

whistle big barrels are good. I have 5 10/22's
two with green mountain, one whistle pig and two stock (one is ss target model and one bone stock and 31 years old)
If I was buying another I would get another green mountain but nothing wrong with whistle pig barrels. I have a few 17hmrs and I still like plinking with the Ruger

Back