Friday night cat

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Went and did a little calling Friday night. 4th stand we were calling down a road. About a minute and a half into lightning jack a cat appeared about a 100 yards out and crossed from left to right to quick to get a shot. I knew he was going to use the thick stuff along the edge of the road to sneak up on it. About a minute or so later we caught eyes on the right about half way to the caller. I turned down the volumn on the foxpro to try and lure her out into the road.

Sure enought at about 4 and half minute she stepped out into the road. A little lip squeak froze her for the shot.

We put in about 4 more stands, and had coons on two of them. On one, nothing showed after about 10 minutes of rabbit, so I switched to coon distress. Almost immediately a coon ran out from the left and ran up to the call. I didn't shoot when I had the best chance, and after he got to the call he turned to leave. He stopped to look back at the woods edge, and I guess I missed at about 100 yards.

A couple of stands later we had a coon come in quick to rabbit distress. I knew he was coming because I could hear birds flushing in the brush. He ran right up to the call and stood on his hind legs. It was early, so I didn't shoot. When nothing else showed by the 10 minute mark I switched to coon distress again. After a minute or so, nothing showed so I muted the caller. Then eyes appeared way out. I told my partner to turn the lightforce all the way up, and he said it was. My battery was running out.

I put the coon distress back on he sprinted to the caller but the light was so low I couldn't see the crosshairs. I had the rifle rested on the tripod and reached to get my hand held flashlight with my left hand and shot him in the light of the flashlight.

We heard coyotes howling a couple of times, but none showed.

VineCatcoon2011.jpg

I can see how they got in the backyard...you need more rocks.
lol.gif

I had heard the story and sounds like a yawl had a pretty decent night 's hunt.

Back