NiMH Batteries and Chargers--A Primer

I have read through this and do not see any mention of the Foxpro batteries and chargers.I bought the one that plugs directly into my firestorm and the first time I charged them they seemed to get really hot. I have since ordered the table top charger from them that charges 1-8 at a time.
Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Guys,

What's the main difference between the Maha MH-C801D and MH-C800S chargers? From the descriptions of each one on Amazon they seem to be the same thing. Just curious what the advantage of one over the other may be. Thanks.

About the only difference that I see is; the 801 has a slow charge of 2 hrs (which is about a 1amp charge rate). The 800 has a 4 hr charge time I believe, which would then charge at probably around 1/2 amp.

Maha, recommends charging battery's at the slowest rate in order to get a good "full" charge and to help maintain longer battery life.

Just ordered the LaCrosse 9009 off Amazon. I hope these are as good as you guys say. I had my FX5 out yesterday after I had all the batteries charged for two days "Energizers" and it worked for 20 min. When I got home I went to use it in the driveway and it would not turn on and the battery light was blinking. Tired of wondering if it is the batteries or the caller. I have had nothing but problems with this FX5 since I bought it from a board member here.

It's the batteries, guaranteed. I have used the same batteries in my FX5. I'll tell you whats going on, one or 2 of your batteries in the group are dead. I noticed the same thing a couple times with mine, got out my tester and 7 was good 1 was dead as could be, happened twice.

t/c223encore.

I have heard that the Sony CycleEnery batteries are the same as the Enloop, Has anyone else heard this? if not does anyone else use the sony?

i purchased some of these and the charger actually takes 7 hours to charge, could i still use the Maha or the lacross charger?

I've read they are identical except for the wrapper. You should be able toe use the Lacross or the Maha no problems. - I've got the Maha C-9000 and just ordered the C800S

I have a question though for one of you more experience guys. Is it better to run the batteries for a full discharge or is it o.k. to top them off after you run for a day?
Thanks
Mike

It should be just fine to "top" them off when needed. I usually will never let mine get below 50%.

It's probably a good idea to drain them down all the way, maybe after every 10 charges or so.

Originally Posted By: coyote controlIt should be just fine to "top" them off when needed. I usually will never let mine get below 50%.

It's probably a good idea to drain them down all the way, maybe after every 10 charges or so.

Thanks Control

Just pickup my first E- caller, used from this site. Can;t wait for it to arrive. It's a FX3. I am looking for recommendations for rechargeable batteries, along with a charger. From the Foxpro site, it looks like a takes 8 AA batteries to run on...is that correct. What type of battery for the remote, and should that be a rechargeable as well. Thanks in advance for your help,

AA is correct - 9v for the remote. Really no need to have the 9v rechargeable, but if you want to have a good 9v, then look into getting a Primary Lithium battery, although it's not necessary.

There are lots of brands of rechargeable battery's, but the higher the mAh, the better the performance. Like 2400 - 2700 mAh would be good if in really cold climate. In warm climate, you could get by using the Low Discharge battery's - 2000/2400 mAh.

Maha 801 charger
This one will work very good for ya...
There are also others there too, if not sure which one, just come back ask.

Last edited:
I bought one of the new Maha -MH-C801D AA == AAA Battery Chargers. chargers. It will charge up to 8 AA or 8 AAA at one time. There is a soft charge mode that lowers the charge amperage by 1/2. Then there's a mode that charges, discharges and then recharges the batteries up to recondition them back into good shape. There is a rest period in between the discharge and recharge cycle to allow the batteries to cool down. Each battery is independant of the others and the recharge won't start until each of the batteries in the compartment is fully discharged. This ensures that all batteries are charged up to the same point I guess.

I used this charger to cycle all my energizer, duracell, foxpro and some new Rayovac Precharged batteries. It took me a week or more to get all my batteries conditioned.

I also purchased two of the 4 channel Maha battery chargers Model MH-C204W as they can Rejuvenate old batteries sometimes when the 8 channel charger can't. So the literature said. But I found that the 8 channel was doing a really good job on all my old batteries.

I have many of the energizer AA's that are several years old. They range in millamp hr ratings from 1850 to 2100 to 2500.

Make sure that when you charge these batteries you make sure that all of the batteries in the charger are the same Millamp/hr rating. Don't mix the 1850 mAh rated batteries with the 2400 mAh batteries in the charge at the same time. Match the batteries together in the same power range and then charge all the same time at the same time.

The Mh-C204W will charge two AA at 2.0 A or four AA's at 1.0 A.

1.0 amps is the same at 1000 milliamps.

Now that I have all my batteries rejuvenated and fully charged up and tested I need to test them in my Foxpro FX3 Digital Caller and see how far away the Foxpro can be place from the Remote and still work well. My last hunting trip I put the Fx3 out about 30 yards and still had trouble getting it to work with the remote. I had the FX3 sitting on the ground in plain sight of my stand and had a hard time getting it to turn on. And the volume was lower than I expected it to be when it was that close to me. It was early morning in Oct but it was cold outside. I was up all night hunting and scouting and was very tired that morning. So I may need to repeat that setup to see if things work better now that I have fixed up all my rechargeable batteries.

Just remember that the regular AA NiMH batteries that are not low discharge must be charged up every month. The worst thing you can do with these batteries is to let the sit idle for long periods of time. That may ruin them from what I have read.

The newer type of low discharge can sit for a year and only lose about 80% of their charge so the literature states. Most all my newer purchases are the low discharge types. Duracell and Rayovac call them PreCharged NiMH batteries.

The Foxpro that come with the FX3 are not the low discharge type as far as I know. But I am not sure about this. But they don't claim to be low discharge so I guess they would say that on the box if they were low discharge type.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/MAHA-MH-C801D-AA--AAA-Battery-Charger_p_166.html

Last edited:
Coyotehunter,
Snowcamoman here on the forum, mention in a thread once about a charger he had - Look Here, and so I bought one and like it very well.
It will give you the actual mAh rating of the battery after charging - which this is something none of the other chargers will do that I know of.

So after 2 yrs on a set of 8 batteries, that started out @2700mAh, they are now down to 2300mAh + or -.

The solid black batteries that Foxpro is selling now are a superior,low discharge battery, and therefore you get better shelf life. I haven't heard a single negative thing about them.

I have a new foxpro fire storm, and just bought a 12 v 600mah charger that plugs into the foxpro, will the green light that is on the foxpro go off when the batterys are fully charged?
Thanks Dirt napper

I also have an fx5- just bought the fox pro black rechargable batt's came with the wall charger.I would also like know if the charger in the foxpro would be fine or no.yes they got alittle warm before but didnt know if fox pro made the batt's go bad or not?these say low dicharge

thanks in advance

I have always liked a "stand along" charger over the one's that are direct plug in. I can't say anything about the Foxpro charger, for mine didn't come with one.

Dirt Napper
It's really hard to say if the green light will go off, but if in doubt, then you might want to look into getting a "battery tester". You could have one battery in the group that may not be getting a full charge and that might have an effect on whether the green light will go off.

Back