DPMS 308 LR

PaPa 260

I have been doing some load development for a shooting buddy of mines DPMS 308 LR. It has a 24" heavy stainless barrel, float tube and a two stage match trigger. Doing load work up with both a 155 and 175 gr. bullets using Varget, IMR 4064. Nothing is grouping any tighter than 1 3/4 MOA for 5 shots. Scope base and rings are tight. I am shooting off of a very solid bench with a Harris bipod and a Rabbit ear rear bag. The scope tracks fine. The crown is fine, and leaving a nice symmetrical star on the muzzle of the barrel. The barrel has less than 200 rounds down the tube. Does anyone have a pet load for this rifle with either the 155 or 175? Is there some trick to loading for these rifles? Or are these rifles just that bad? Any information would be appreciated.

PaPa 260

I purchased the very same weapon last summer. I've handloaded for over 20 years and can tell the one I had was not a natural "shooter". The best I could do was 168 gr amax's with varget using small base dies. 1.5" 100 yd. groups were about the best it would do. I saved up for a long time to get the rifle and tried everything I could think of to get it to shoot. Very disappointing. Already sold it.

Fair enough, I had a gut feeling this rifle was not a shooter, or at least it has shown no signs of being one. I have reloaded for 41 years and I am very meticulous when it comes to load development and this one is not looking like it will shoot. I appreciate the reply.

PaPa 260

Back