How many bands do you have?

Tyler Burgin

I know waterfowl seasons over but Im still coming down from a big year and we got to talking about this at my local DU dinner. Im just curious if our area is a hotspot for em or maybe a cold spot based on what you all say. Im 21 years old with 24 bands one mallard one snow the rest canadas. Thought it might be interesting

I'm 22 and have hunted for 6 years and killed one mallard with a band and one blue-winged teal with a band. Killed a ton of geese. None banded. I'd say you are in a pretty hot area for bands. I've only seen 3 bands killed.

I am 36 and have hunted waterfowl every year all season long since I was 12, 1 banded malard, 1 banded pintail and 2 banded honkers. So yes you are in hot spot and yes I am jelous
grin.gif

Ya thats what I assumed. It helps I hunt 5+ days a week especially during goose season. Been hunting since I was 9 killed my first canada band when I was 10. Most Ive killed in a year is 7 canada bands. Oldest is my mallard which was a 12 year old drake. I find bands fascinating and hopefully more people will post some info.

I have been waterfowling for 14 years and have only killed 1 banded blue wing teal and 1 banded honker. I have also killed a banded whitewing dove.

1 goose - neck band and 2 leg bands (first year hunting)
1 wood duck
1 mallard
1 pintail
1 dove

Been hunting since I was 10 and I'm 37 now. Not a good % area I guess.

I know atleast one was Mn but would have to check the town now. 9 of my canada bands have came from clear lake/Iconium iowa and were banded by the same guy. I believe my lesser canada was the one from Mn

ONE. And it was on a Turkey! Last year first weekend in April I shot a gobbler with my bow. When I went to pick it up I noticed a rubber coated sticking out of the tail feathers. At a closer look, it had a small radio transmitter w/ antenna strapped on like a small backpack and a band with a number to call at Univ. of Wisc. They and KWPD had caught some for research. Kind of exciting!

I am 32 I have been hunting waterfowl 11 years and have yet gotten a banned bird. I shot my fair share of birds this year and not one was banned. You guys are doing better than I have.

Here is the neck band. You can see why he dropped out of the sky.
100_0423.jpg

This is the dove.
09010718.jpg

and the wood duck. It's hard to see.
scan0009.jpg

Still looking for the pintail pic I got somewhere.

Neck bands gotta be the ultimate prize!! nice work We got a red snow goose neck band a few years back on a spot stalk and had no idea who got it. I lost the rock paper scissors match lol. Ill try to find some pics of my bands but most were just on my old phone

That neck band was from the time they used to put them on can geese. Don't think they put them on em anymore. But for some reason they put them on swans and snows yet.

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttThat neck band was from the time they used to put them on can geese. Don't think they put them on em anymore. But for some reason they put them on swans and snows yet.

Here in Utah we do urban goose round-up, we get the geese off of golf coures's and city parks, we put yellow neck collars on the adults and ship them 100 miles south west but they always make it back to the city.

Think they stopped it here in Mn because the neck bands were iceing up and killing the geese. At least thats what I heard. Just don't know why they still do it with swans since they stick around in the cold.

They do more neck banding on swans and snow geese because their is a smaller sample size of bands killed. When they are more interested in a certain species theyll make the bands more obvious so that particular bird has a better chance of being taken. Atleast that is what I was told by a university biologist that has taken part in many banding projects.

Originally Posted By: Tyler BurginThey do more neck banding on swans and snow geese because their is a smaller sample size of bands killed. When they are more interested in a certain species theyll make the bands more obvious so that particular bird has a better chance of being taken. Atleast that is what I was told by a university biologist that has taken part in many banding projects.

That would make sense since mine was taken when the giants were few and far between.

Back