Do YOU shoot jakes??

lon0121

if your state allows it????
im all about "you buy the tag, its your decisison" on anything you hunt. Of course sometimes it is good to be conservative. I will probably do it this year again, just want to know what everyone thinks.

Never had to YET. Sure someday I will. Most times I know what there is for birds on the property I'm hunting so I have passed on jakes knowing there is longbeards in the area.

seems like we always have a bachelor group of jakes here!

just a bunch of young frat punks lol! they came to my hen decoy last year!~

no I don't shoot jakes. I have shot one but didn't know it was a jake I called in a longbeard for a buddy 3 years ago and after he shot it we got up and another turkey flew up I saw a red head so shot when I walked up it was a jake. I'm still mad at myself but he ate good

cool deal,
i have never seen a hen with a beard here but alot of fellas whom hunt around these parts talk of them.

Thanks guys!

Lot of times I will let the jakes gobble all they want and show off for the decoy. Alot of times thats more than the sneaky longbeards can stand. Kind of the reason I have never shot a jake. Never know when that longbeard is shadowing him. If it came down to the last day I would end up poping a jake.

Yea hens with beards are out there we have two hens on our property that have about 3 inch beards. I have had them come in many times while calling. In virginia we are aloud to shoot any bearded bird but I let them walk.

And frozen your right if it came down to tthe last I probably would smoke a jake.

so when i kill a jake this year and post a pic you will tell me "it doesnt count"??

i know alot of people pass on them as they do does and young bucks.
but it isnt up to you to say whether a jake counts as a trophy! im sure you have killed coyote younger than most jakes and posted them here on this forum! but they dont count!~

I shot a few when I first started, but haven't for many years now as a personal choice. I think if you have the tag and it is legal it is your personal decision.

Originally Posted By: GCI shot a few when I first started, but haven't for many years now as a personal choice. I think if you have the tag and it is legal it is your personal decision.

Yep, me too.
I haven't shot one in years. I've let them walk on the last day of season too.
But if they're legal and you have a tag, it's your choice.
thumbup1.gif

I have before with my bow, but If your in any area where there are alot of turkeys wait for a long beard. In my experience, (unlike hunting a wise old buck) turkeys are turkeys and just because they are older with a long beard does't mean they are much smarter. Turkeys are not that smart, just instinctive.

My last bowkill was a jake, but I'll pass them up from here on out. My son (11) has yet to take his first bird and wants to hold out for a longbeard.

Since my wife and I are new to turkey hunting and we do not care if its a jake or a tom so old he steps on his beard; as long as its a male turkey(legal), or a bearded hen, we are going to collect - if at all possible.. Since we have to 'draw' for tags? no need to let them go to waste looking for something better; maybe, next year.

.. I have on a few occasions, trying to wait for a longbeard, but the jake had a deathwish, so I obliged him. Once, several years ago, I killed a hen with an 8" (thin) beard.

This weekend is Missouri's Youth Turkey Season, so I will be taking my 8 year-old granddaughter. Hunting with an 8 YO is always fun, and verrrrrry interesting. If we get a decent chance at a jake, we will take it. IMHO, any turkey or deer is a trophy for a young hunter.

Back