80 grain 243

mike s 243

hi to all
a frend has given me 400 80 grain sierra varminter bullets in 243 and i have never used this bullet before i have used loaded rounds in 80 grain but not sierra varminter is this bullet any good on deer ? or is it just a vermin type bullet?

Most likely it's the 80 gn Sierra "blitz" bullet. It is an incredibly accurate bullet, but very thin jacketted. It's similar to the Hornady "super explosive" line. Both were the bees knees for varmints prior to the Vmax/Blitz King era.

Try them with a stiff dose of IMR4064. You may be impressed.

bownut

They are very accurate for me too.
IMR 4064 or H414.
thumbup1.gif

I think this group was with IMR 4064:

011-1.jpg

that's the one...sierra #1515. Like I said, super accurate, super explosive. I wouldn't use them for deer unless you put one in the neck.

I shoot that bullet in more than one 243 rem 700.

I shoot Win brass because it is tough. My loads run from 39.0-41.5g depending on the barrel and lot of powder and Fed 210 is the primer, velocity is 3450 fps...not a slouch load. I do seat the bullets just barely touching the lands.

My longest shot on coyotes were at the 550 round mark. I had shot a yote and it was spine shot at the 550 mark. My buddy started retrieving the yote and when he was still 300 yards away, a pack of coyotes attacked the wounded yote. When I saw him lay down flat on the ground, that was the signal to shoot. There was a whale of afight going on amongst the yotes.

I shot 8 more rounds killing three more...hard to hit them when they are in a feeekus, they never heard the shots with about a 5mph crosswind...it was unbelievable.

80g Sierra knocks whale out of a yote when fired at 3450 fps, even at 550 yards.

Keith

Last edited:
Back