Breaking in a Mosin Nagant?

Irish_80

Do I need to? I mean it was made in 1937 but you never know.
smile.gif

Just a joke guys. I did pick my first one up the other day and went out and shot it yesterday. It is a lot more fun to shoot then I though it would be. First 3 shot group with it was about 1.5" at 50 yards, I'll take that. It was shooting about 4" to the left so I have to get that adjusted but other then that it's good to go I guess. Where is the best place you guys have found for surplus ammo?

If it was a French military rifle it would be needing a break in period. Like they say "dropped once and never been fired".

Originally Posted By: Harvey7If it was a French military rifle it would be needing a break in period. Like they say "dropped once and never been fired".

ROFLMAO.

French rifle, funny.

I've had a few Mosin's and used JB Bore Paste to smooth the bore out some. One old Russian 91/30 slugged out to .311 and I used Sierra .311 bullets. My Finnish M39 would shoot .308's well and the barrel was like new.

That's good stuff guys. I pretty much plan on shooting surplus ammo and cleaning a lot. I like the idea of 19 cent shells. I might get a few boxes of soft points to use on deer just because it sounds fun hunting with a 74 year old gun.

For ammo you can check AIM surplus, Ammoman, Southern Ohio Guns for starters. There is still plenty of surplus 54r out there to be had. Just make sure you clean thouroughly and soon after shooting.

bob

I'm not a big supporter of breaking in barrels even with most new guns, but your Mosin Nagant has already had God knows how many rounds fired through it. I'd say it's already been broken in the old fashioned way!

Yeah I don't believe in breaking in barrels either. I was just joking around since the gun is 74 years old and you see barrel break in threads a lot.

Back