Bring in the Navy (pics)

Tyler Burgin

Had to try something a little different for the last hunt of the year and headed to the cocclebur infested core grounds around a public lake here before the season ended. We took the duck boat out and cruised the connecting river until we found areas with enough openings between the briars to present a shot. Made 5 stands called 3 yotes out of the junk but only one presented a shot for long enough. This small female charged hard to the rivers edge where the mojo was before being taken by my buddy with the 12 gauge. I never thought hunting from a boat applied to coyotes so well but next year Im going to do much more scouting and get the area figured out where I can make more stands. This is the only area I have ever had multiple howlers return my call after daylight. Definitely a good sign

smittyboatcoyote.jpg

She sure didnt mind coccleburs

boatcoyote.jpg

LOL no gators in missouri and I dont have a duck float tube but have waders. Float tubes arent real popular for this area because u can wade almost any area with birds the areas that are too deep would be pretty dangerous in the wind with a float tube. That would definitely make for a quieter approach [beeep] and could be a good way to hide

Yep, done the boat thing on lakes and river floats for coyotes, deer, turkeys, and small game hunting. Lot's of fun and enables you to access places that are hard to reach and/or to cover more miles of country easier. I stow gear in the boat to cook a hot shore lunch, neat deal all around. We've done a couple of overnight camp on a sand bar hunts too. That takes more planning of course, but it is really a cool experience.

We also did an overnight horseback trail ride hunt once. That was a lot of fun, but the hunting part of it wasn't quite as practical as I thought. Sorta turned pretty much into a trail ride and camp out, still a neat deal though.

Quote: Yep, done the boat thing on lakes and river floats for coyotes, deer, turkeys, and small game hunting.

The problem with that here is that most major lakes are US Army corps of Engineers, and rifles are not allowed, and they require hunter orange. Plus, buckshot is not allowed.

Many of the river authorities do not allow hunting of any kind on their property except maybe waterfowl.

If the lakes are not Corps of Engineers, that means the land around the lake right up to the water is private and cannot be hunted without permission.

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote: Yep, done the boat thing on lakes and river floats for coyotes, deer, turkeys, and small game hunting.

The problem with that here is that most major lakes are US Army corps of Engineers, and rifles are not allowed, and they require hunter orange. Plus, buckshot is not allowed.

Many of the river authorities do not allow hunting of any kind on their property except maybe waterfowl.

If the lakes are not Corps of Engineers, that means the land around the lake right up to the water is private and cannot be hunted without permission.

Thank goodness Missouri isn't like that. We have public hunting lands here under the State of Missouri Conservation Department, U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, U.S. National Park Service, and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Agency. There is also hunting allowed on the U.S. Army's Fort Leonard Wood Army Base. Fort Leonard Wood is probably the most restricted and controlled by far of the entire lot. The rest are mostly pretty easy going and easily understandable in their rules and regs.

Specifically relative to this thread, some of our big lakes have over 50,000 acres of Corp of Engineer property surrounding them and follow state hunting guidelines rather than some highly restrictive federal mandate. In fact, we have tens of thousands of acres in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways under the U.S. National Park Service where hunting is allowed, one of the very, very, few properties under that agency that hunting is allowed on. I think Missouri is blessed with lots of ground to wander and basic common sense rules governing our outdoors use.

Here is what we have on COE hunting:

http://www.swf.usace.army.mil/pubdata/ops/recnres/HUNTGUIDE10-11final.pdf

Due to this thread, I checked it out further. I didn't know that according to page 5 that possesion of "manual or electronic varmint calling devices, baits or lures is prohibited while hunting"

It also states on page 5 that only those species listed under the "legal game" section for each lake may be hunted.

Coyotes are not specicially listed on any of the COE lakes in Texas. A few of the lakes list the legal game as what is legal game in that county which would allow for coyotes and bobcats provided that you take them with Shotgun slugs, bird shot, muzzleloader or archery.

I was only partly right about the hunter orange. It is not required on all lakes, but is required on the one I am most familiar with (Sam Rayburn).

I did a lot of checking to make sure I was legal before taking the boat out. Everything was good to go. Rifle, shotgun, 4buck didnt matter they just said try not to call to close to fishermen and we didnt see any until the boat ramp. I took my R15 but with shot opportunities on this part of the lake I believe we will both be carrying shotguns next time unless I can afford an eotech for my build this summer.
Thats really too bad about your coe lakes in texas If it wasnt for this lake Id kill 100 less ducks each year. Its been my honey hole for about every thing and is a great opportunity for all hunters and fisherman alike. Sure some deer hunters get mad at us blastin away at ducks when their in their tree but thats public ground for ya and without it a lot of local hunters couldnt afford to have good hunting opportunities

No problems duck hunting (except for the lack of ducks the last several years and too many people), but not friendly toward predator hunting.

I like it. We made more stands due to not having to go back to the truck and waste time. Were fresh for every stand due to no walking. In some areas we only trolled a few hundred yards before making another stand and facing the opposite river bank. I think with a lil research this could be highly effective and offer more stands then Ill ever need

Back