Magazine??'s Alum. vs. Steel & Curved vs. Straight

As some of you have guessed by now I am new to the AR style of rifle and have been asking a lot of questions and everyone has been very good and knowledgable in answering, so I have yet another set of questions. Been looking at various magazine brands and would like to know if you prefer the Aluminum or Stainless Steel magazine and is there an advantage to a curved magazine versus a straight magazine. I am looking at 20 round mags and they come in both types of material and straight or curved as well. Advantages/disadvantages to one over the other?? Thanks....again.

In 14 years of shooting military ARs, the best magazines I ever used are the plastic Magpulls. I'm use to a jam or two while practicing/qualifying but had no troubles at all with the plasic mags. I have never shot a civilian AR, but that is about to change. I would imagine the plastic is beter than steel or alluminum in the civilian models as well.

Originally Posted By: 204GunnerIn 14 years of shooting military ARs, the best magazines I ever used are the plastic Magpulls. I'm use to a jam or two while practicing/qualifying but had no troubles at all with the plasic mags. I have never shot a civilian AR, but that is about to change. I would imagine the plastic is beter than steel or alluminum in the civilian models as well.

+1
Magpul P-Mags work great for me!

Personally, all of mine are steel and many of then the old straight Colt 20 rounders...I have a few that are 5 & 10 round, but only use them for hunting..

Years ago, I tried one of the plastic (not P-Mag) and had nothing but problems with it, so I guess that's my own prejudice...

I have straight steel and curved aluminum c-products mags and have never had a single problem with either.
I prefer th straight but only because of looks.

Steve

Forgot to mention that I am running a .204 in the AR and the Pmags do not function with the .204. I like the idea of the Pmags but cannot use them for the .204. I have found some C Products mags but trying to decide betwen the aluminum or stainless steel and straight or curved. I like the idea of the straight but did not know if the curved had any significant advantage over the straight as far as function/reliability and in particular with the .204 cartridge. Thanks

I use old straight 20 round Colt mags for my 204, and they've always worked perfectly. They are aluminum and have the original followers. The advantage with stainless steel is that they usually are thinner and thus give you a little more room, and a longer oal is possible. I would actually like to get a couple to try.

I have about 25 30rd USGI-style aluminum mags; some are genuine USGI, others are a mix of Bushmaster, AR Stoner and CProducts. All have the latest followers installed. All have function 100%.

I have about 15 20rd USGI-style mags from C-Products which are the curvd style, and again, all have functioned 100%.

I found no reason to jump on the Pmag bandwagon. USGI served me well when I was in the USMC. My current mags are used for plinking, firearms training and qualifications (law enforcement).

I have them all. Aluminum, steel, and Magpul Pmags. With
good non-tilt followers, they all run well. I am growing
particularly fond of the Pmags, but the USGI have served me
well. My C-Product mags were about 90% reliable until I
replaced the followers with Magpul anti-tilts. Then they went
100%.

Now for hunting, I prefer the 20 round straight USGI mags,
or the 20 round Magpul Pmags. I also prefer the 20 round
mags for bench shooting. For my bump in the night, clearing
my house mags, any of the 30 rounds are locked and loaded.

This is all in the context of 223 Rem./5.56 Nato. For
6.8 SPC/6mm WOA, I have Barretts, PRI, and C-Products. The
Barretts are the bomb for high capacity. They run 100%
for 30 rounds every time I unload them through the muzzle.
For hunting capacity I have 3 of the 10 round PRI mags, and
they are exceptionally reliable...Never had a mag failure
in hundreds of rounds. I also have a couple PRI 25 round
mags(look like 30 round mags but due to the fatter case of the
6.8 SPC, hold 25 or so), and no failures there. I do have some
of the C-Product straight 20 round style that hold like
17, but they are not 100% reliable. Mine were early offerings
in 6.8 SPC, and I understand they have them running well
now. I replaced the followers with Magpul anti-tilts, and
that seems to have improved their reliability, but I would
not lock and load one if my life were on the line...Barretts
would get that work.