Ivermectin with praziquantel paste

I heard the "Ivermec kills border collies" for years, I had a few that were "worth testing". Gave six of them, from diff lines, a full dose. They were all fine, and continued to use it for years. The ones that "made the cut", are still working cows, and it has been 6 years since the first dose. So I say "old wives tale", but I am no vet. Duane

I have used Ivomec injectable, down the mouth and also under the skin, and also have used the ivomec pour on before.. be very careful to not overdose, it is powerful stuff. Dont use ivomec and regular wormer on pups at the same time, its pretty hard on them.. If you have any doubt if your dog has heart worm you better have him checked.. Ivomec can and has killed dogs with heartworm..it will not lill tapes in dogs..It may killl tapes in other animals but not in dogs.. And i am not sure anymore how great of job it does on worms in dogs... most people use ivermectin for heart worm prevention, and mange.. It does not do much for fleas and if you have ticks bad it aint that great eather.. Your better off with those paste horse wormers.. You get a broader ban of wormer..

Alos have herd not to give to Collies and Shelties.. I have given to Border Collies because I forgot and they seemed fine.But most vets who sell it say not to give to collies..

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuI heard the "Ivermec kills border collies" for years, I had a few that were "worth testing". Gave six of them, from diff lines, a full dose. They were all fine, and continued to use it for years. The ones that "made the cut", are still working cows, and it has been 6 years since the first dose. So I say "old wives tale", but I am no vet. Duane

"Breeds which may possess a genetic sensitivity to ivermectin are Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs and Old English Sheepdogs, although genetic sensitivities have been seen in individuals outside of these breeds as well. A blood test which detects the genetic mutation responsible for the ivermectin sensitivity is available and may be advisable for high-risk dogs before administration of high dosages of ivermectin. Heartworm preventive dosages of ivermectin are normally low enough to be safe for these high-risk dogs.

Symptoms such as uncoordination and dilated pupils are of particular concern and can lead to death if treatment is not sought immediately.

Read more at Suite101: Ivermectin for Dogs: Usages, Safety and Side Effects of Ivermectin in Dogs http://www.suite101.com/content/ivermectin-for-dogs-a130765#ixzz1HXZiz0rc"

Thanks for the info Redfrog, when I personally , or one of our cowboys kills a cowdog with "Ivermec", I'll let you know. As I said I'm not a vet, I can only relate my personal experience. If you don't wanna use "Ivermec", because you do not feel its safe,don't let me talk you into it.I have used it for years,as have other cowboys.
"I personally,nor have any of the cowboys I have worked with over the years, killed a "Border Collie", or any other dog, by worming with "Ivermec"."
Personal experience, doesn't mean I'm right. Duane

I have used ivermec for years. I dilite the injectable with propylene glycol and give it orally for about 10 years on Border Collies with no problems.

Bordercollie, your experience is similar to mine, maybe we should get a grant, and do our "own study". Then we could put it on the net.
thumbup.gif

I use Equimax (1.87% Ivermectin,14.03% Praziqantel) @ 1cc per 50lb.
I have actually seen 2 border collies die shortly after Ivermectin worming, but I dont hesitate to worm my own with it, and have seen 100s of others that are/were wormed with it regularly over the years.

Take care.

That would be a great study to do. There is considerable amount of info on the web. I have seven Border Collies we could start with. Love the quote from your Grandpa. I would like to use that with your permission.

good info on the ivermec. thats what i have always used. buy one bottle and worm all my horses and dogs at once, just did it a couple days ago as a matter of fact. have always gave it to horses in the mouth and injected dogs under the skin at the back of the neck. except for one gyp that will bite me if i take ahold of her with a needle in my hand! she gets a 1/2 cc in the mouth. lol. it seems to kill all the ticks off of one at the moment, but they get em back in a few days.

and on the fly tags, i have been told to cut them down to about 1/3 for dogs. have heard a whole tag may be to strong and make em sick or kill em, but i imagine it depends on the kind. i know some cowboys in texas who put fly tags on their boot tops to keep ticks off of them. said it works great. no way i'm gonna do it though! i wouldnt be surprised to hear of them having serious health problems down the road.

Bordercollie, your welcome to "get some miles outta Grandad's "quote".
It has kept me in the game through the hard times. Duane

Duane, I've used ivermec for my horses since '75. it was only available as an injectable then and the vet said there was some risk to horses. Like many other things in the world improvements have been made and it is safe to use now.

As far as worming dogs, why not? I'm doing a dozen horses, might as well do the 8 dogs. It just makes more sense than the cherry bitters and gunpowder mix my cousin used on his hounds for years.
frown.gif

I posted the info to let everyone know there is a risk and it is so easy to test for it. Simple blood test or take a chance on losing a good dog. Your choice. It won't make a bit of difference to me.

I've had dogs for over 50 years. From hounds to guard dogs, bird dogs and stock dogs. I learned a long time ago there's more I don't know than what I know.

Nearly every time I visit this forum I learn some useful information or get motivated to research something. There's no replacement for experience. It's a great teacher, and there's a ton of it here.

I'd rather learn from someone else's experiences. I can make enough mistakes on my own.

Back