Dimmer Switches??

hembree1

Anyone out there found a reasonably priced dimmer switch for spot lights? I know lightforce and other companies make them but i made a home made light and just needing a dimmer for it, didnt know if anyone has bought one from somewhere and works good. Im running 12 volt with a 35 and 55 watt bulb. Thanks

When I was dabbling with using a spotlight and 12 volt battery I ended up using a heater rheostat switch from the auto parts store. It was for some old vehicle, don't remember which one as the store said to try it. $15 and it worked, although it dims but does not increase your battery life like the expensive ones do. Also it builds up a lot of heat as that's how it is able to dim the light. I would bite the bullet and pay for a decent one if I was to do it again.

I got ahold of lightforce and they said their dimmer is 68 bucks, so not as high as i thought. Still, sounds like you guys are probably right i need to just spend a little extra and get a good one! Thanks for the input

I have a 12volt 8 amp led dimmer on order from ebay. 6 Bucks. Figured I'd try it. Will post if it works. Found a light force battery bag with cig plug mounted on it for twenty on ebay. Going to mount the dimer on top.

Originally Posted By: WallydvrI have a 12volt 8 amp led dimmer on order from ebay. 6 Bucks. Figured I'd try it. Will post if it works. Found a light force battery bag with cig plug mounted on it for twenty on ebay. Going to mount the dimer on top.

Have you got that dimmer yet. I am curious to see if it works

All you need is a Potentiometer inline with the battery. It works by varying the voltage to the bulb. Should cost ya around 2 bucks!

just got it in the mail today. Hooked it up to my light force battery bag and works great. Total cost 20.00 for the Light force batt. Bag, 6.00 for 12volt 8 amp led dimmer, battery 25.00. Haven't figured out how to insert pics yet sorry.

Do a ebay search for 12volt led dimmer.I bought mine for a dollar and 5 dollars shipping. Also it was a 8 amp. If you need more amps try a rv dimmer, they are more money [beeep].

2011-03-26_14-55-59_779.jpg

Originally Posted By: WallydvrDo a ebay search for 12volt led dimmer.

Are you dimming a Liteforce or an LED?

There's a big difference.

Back