siren or locator

COYKILL

I hunt with a Wildlife Tech electronic call and haven't had good luck this year locating coyotes with it. I am able to call them in but I would like to be able to locate them. Should I get a siren or a horn type hand call for a locater?

coykill:

Your wt will work just fine. I use one to locate a lot. I found with both the wt and foxpro, that using a single howl, then abot 30 seconds later, a group howl followed immediatly buy some type of aggressive howl, works much better then just a group howl. Also, play them at full volume.

I was using the adult female communicative to try to locate as Pat from Wilflife Tech told me to use that one. I will try a single howl and then the group howl tonight. Thanks guys.

I have never had a coyote respond to my siren caller from ELKS. I have on the other hand had coyotes respond a plenty from my hand calls, and electronic caller using the howls and coyote locater on the electronic caller. Just know this, they dont always respond.

I never had luck with a siren, but I believe I've never had a good sounding one. Usually a cheap chinese car alarm one or a recording on the Foxpro. I just recently purchased 2 vintage police sirens and awaiting for them to arrive at home in a week or so. Their big, kinda pricey, but I need to know if they really work or not, with upcoming dogging season coming up. Only one way to find out.

Tony

Back late 60's, Dad & his two houndsman buds hunted in Nebraska with their sighthounds. They ran across a group of other houndsman. Those guys used an old "hand crank roller siren" to locate the coyotes. Then would drive that area with their hounds in dump boxes. Looking to kick up a coyote for the chase.

Up until 3yrs ago, we lived on an acrege on the outskirts of town. "Most" everytime an ambulance or fire truck would run an emergency in town. Useing the "wail" feature on their vehicle's siren. The coyotes in my area would sounds off. This happened all yr around, mainly during darktime hrs. We lived on that acrege for 16yrs.

Speaking of coyotes sounding off. Last night around 1030, I let our dog out. It was dead calm. I heard a lone coyote repeatidly bark twice, followed by a long "whoop" sounding howl. I never heard such a howl before. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
last year while hunting at the end of a river where it goes into a lake I was calling early am and I didn't get no response but a guy started his ice auger quite a ways away and when it shut off the coyotes lit up. I also had the same situation when some buddies and I where snowmobiling and we stopped and when the last snowmobile shut off the coyotes lit up.

I have a siren sound on my Foxpro. I never located coyote with it, but it's great for discouraging "homeland security issues" while skinning a coyote at night by the headlights of my truck near our "secure border. "

My experience has been on Sunday mornings when the fire truck whips by a half mile from the house and then the coyotes start in out back. Kind of strange hearing them in the daytime.
So maybe buy yourself a firetruck...lol.

Coyotes respond to the siren call for sure, however,,,(there is always however it seems), around here when the feds are flying the coyotes hot and heavy? the siren on the plane starts 'em up, the ground spotter locates them, the shooter in the plane dumps a box of shells on them and any survivors head for a hole everytime after that the plane, chopper goes over or there is a siren fired up. Soon you have a population of ADULTS that are immune to that stuff.
Then you wind up with silent 'yotes reproducing. I've been told they have gotten most all of the 'yotes here; I know better....

Sirens work. I've used it a number of times to locate. Like anything else though it doesn't work 100% of the time, just like howling doesn't work 100% of the time. Sometimes those darn coyotes all have lock-jaw and won't make a sound. Hate it when they act that way.

Back