best kill light?

sccoyote56

Hey i have decided im going to get the 20 dollar headlight that everyone seems to like so much, but im wondering what kill like to get that i will attach to my gun. what number lumens will be good im in a mainly woodland area but do have larger fields that i will be shooting in. would 250 lumen be a good size? if possible send like and i dont want to be spending a whole lot around 20 dollars would be ideal

There is only one "Kill Light" and it's about $140 that's a fact. There are several good lights that people recommend and will give you their opinion based on their experiences. I would suggest you read some of these posts. There is a ton of information and this question qets asked over and over. If you read these you can form your own opinions.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...484#Post1873484

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...678#Post1724678

I shoot with this....
http://www.gadgettown.com/G4MCU-Cree-Q5-LED-Flashlight-Hand-Strap.html

Last edited:
Pick up the XLR250 for a kill light. The XLR100 makes an excellent scanning light as well. Both come with everything you'll need (charger, batteries, scope and barrel mounts).

If you are hunting wooded areas, I do not think a light that can shoot a beam 250 yards is very useful - unless you move alot of trees out of your way.

my pick:

Wallmart
Coleman Flashlight 100lumen black - rubber end switch.
Duracell batteries included.
$18

It will shoot a beam close to 100 yds.

$140-18 = $122 left in my pocket.

KISS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sccoyote56 i dont want to be spending a whole lot around 20 dollars would be ideal

Not sure why everyone is reccomending a $140 light when you ask for a $20 light.

Originally Posted By: smilinIBOriginally Posted By: sccoyote56 i dont want to be spending a whole lot around 20 dollars would be ideal

Not sure why everyone is reccomending a $140 light when you ask for a $20 light.

Thats what I was thinking

Just goes to show...some don't give an honest review in their haste to plug a product. If they aren't reading the question, disreguard the answer.

Takem,
That is a good looking light. The single mode switch is nice to have sometimes also. The Ultrafire GM4MCU that I have has the 5 mode switch but it comes on in the high mode like I prefer for a shooting light.

scoyotes, as i said in my first post....

Quote:There is only one "Kill Light" and it's about $140 that's a fact. There are several good lights that people recommend and will give you their opinion based on their experiences. I would suggest you read some of these posts. There is a ton of information and this question qets asked over and over. If you read these you can form your own opinions.

There are guys that plug certain lights because that's what they have. Others are light junkies and keep experimenting in search of a better light. There is no right answer. Look here if you really want to know how LED's work and make your own decision.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jackindistress
Then if you need it to be red, go to ebay and get a pack of DJ Gel sheets which are about $5.00.

Or better yet, apply a bit of country-boy frugality/ingenuity and buy a 99 cent Red Sharpie marker..

depending on the shade, intensity of red you desire, you apply one or more coats of Sharpie ink.

when you want a white light again - a drop or two of windex and a tissue is all you need.

K.I.S.S.

I agree with the others, no need for major $ investment to hunt yotes...

I don't need a pair of $500 Simms waders to catch trout, and I certainly don't need a $140 Flashlight to Hunt Yotes.

I don't even need $10 gun mounts for the lights:

100_1184.JPG

That double "strap" of electrical tape is so tight you can strum a banjo note on it. It has not come loose after many shots, and pushes/pulls into/out of the gun case. End switch of light is a hair away from the spot my thumb rests on the gun.

My scanning light is a $20 Browning head-mounted, 3 AAbatteries, and Sharpied up..
I don't believe in gun-mounted spotting lights (GUN SAFETY 101).

that's just my 2 cents worth...

good points. I have more than a few of these now and I couldn't tell you which one is "best". I think I like the solarforce but ask me again tomorrow. ha

I have the 20 dollar scanning light and use a gun mounted Kill 250 for shooting. The 20 dollar light with a clear scope cover and red gel on it works great for scanning(smilins idea) and then when it's time to walk back to the truck you flip the scope cover up and you have a nice bright white light. The XLR 250 in my opinion is a great shooting light and way to bright for a scanning light. Suppose to be able to identify up to 250 yards(under the right conditions) and I know up to 200 yards is not a problem looking through the scope. As far as the other lights I have no experience with them so I can only tell you that you will be very happy with a Kill light if that is what you get.

I will say without a doubt the $20 headlamp is the best light I've ever scanned with. I too removed the clear lense and added a red filter. I was sceptical at first but the light is great. The scope cover idea is going to be put to use on my shooting light next year too. With a couple different filters, one at the lense and one at the cap or even nothing at the lens. If the critter hangs up flip the cap and light him up. It gives you the choice of 2 gun lights.

.........thanks smilin

Back