Concealed weapons license? ? ?

muleskinner

I'm thinking of getting my license for a concealed handgun just for occasional self assurance. But I have heard some guys say they don't want to be on any "government list". The instructor said they already have all the info about you when you buy a new gun. I guess I don't really need to pack a gun but you never know sometimes it would be nice. The pre class is 12 hours of valuable info and shooting too.
What do you guys think???

I would not worry about being on one more government list. You are probably on a hundred different ones already.

I would absolutly refuse if they tried to collect any records of guns already owned.

If you have to get the permit for a specific gun, buy a new one for it.

Jack

Go for it. I got mine several years ago. By now, you're on so many government lists one more isn't gonna make any difference. And it's nice to be able to legally carry a firearm when you're traveling. Now if they would get the nationwide permit recognition thing passed, it would really be cool.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

If you aren't havin' fun, why bother doin' it?

The only new list that it puts you on here in Oklahoma is that they fingerprint you for the FBI database before they give your permit. I don't know if that is only in OK or if it is a nationwide procedure. Does anyone else?

So hypothetically speaking: If I were to travel across the country, would it be illegal to keep a loaded revolver in a holster under the driver's seat?

Loco
biggrin.gif
I can tell you that if you come through Texas and they stop you and they find it under the seat. Yes it will be considered a concealed weapon. Now if you take that gun and lay it on the dash and inform the one stopping you it shouldn't be a problem. just make sure that you let them know that weapon is there. Don't assume that they see it when they walk up. Now for other states I couldn't tell you........James L.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Never underestimate the power of stupid people!

[This message has been edited by James Lindley (edited 03-03-2002).]

I think it's pretty much standard to have your fingeprints submitted to the FBI before you're issued a CCW permit.

Gun laws vary from state to state and what is legal in one may not be legal in another.

Here in Arizona a firearm is legal if in site or if it's in a holster. In a holster it can be about anywhere in the vehicle, I.E. glove box, under seat, etc.

I've kept a CCW permit here in Arizona for about 7 years now. IMO it's one of the better things to come out of the gun law craze.

[This message has been edited by Daryl (edited 03-02-2002).]

Yes, I would go for it if the law allows. But I would also follow the advice already given. As for the prints, I believe that every state requires it. They are sent to the feds as part of the background check. I.E they compare them to felons and wanted persons.

------------------
The early bird MAY get the worm, but the second mouse ALWAYS gets the cheese!!!

Not every state require prints. Alabama doesn't, they just take your info and run an instant background check. Fastest CCW I ever got, took about 10 minutes and I walked out the door with it.

Laws vary GREATLY from state to stae, whether it's carry on you person, in a vehicle, whatever. If you're traveling you need to do some research to find out exactly what the laws are in each state you'll go through. At least that way if you break it you'll know you are. Or you may find a state to be so restrictive that you'll drive around it rather than take a chance. New Jersey comes to mind as an example of one.

A good book to have is "The Travelers Guide To The Firearm Laws of The 50 States"

You can get that, and several other excellent books on gun laws, from Alan Korwin at www.bloomfieldpress.com

------------------
"When They turn the pages of history,
When these days have passed long ago.

Will they read about us in sorrow,
for the seeds that we let grow?" - RUSH, "A Farewell To Kings"

[This message has been edited by Stu Farish (edited 03-03-2002).]

I've got an AZ CCW. It was a two day 16hr course (in 1998). I leared quite a bit as far as what to say and what not (after an incident). It has come in handy a couple of times. However, once you start carrying you won't feel right leaving home w/o your weapon.

I've noticed cops are way nicer to me since I've had the CCW.

Thanks for you thoughts.. Jack, I went to the www.packing.org and found good info..Thanks. I guess my biggest concern is ~ if they decide to outlaw guns or want more control; they will probably knock on my door first!
I would think it is to their advantage to have More people packing and have them on record! Especially with terrorists among us!
Isn't that equal to Homeland Securety?

Muleskinner~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My finger prints have been on file ever since 1970 when I joined the local PD. I'm sure that the FBI has em in their file also ever since that US district court trial where a prisoner claimed Police brutality. I still have my carry permit and the bad guys never know when the model 1911 Colt .45 is under my shirt.

I think if you take the course, you will change your mind. And if you don't, just because you take the course doesn't mean you have to send in the paper work to get the permit. Right now, here in AZ, about 7% of the people that take the course don't apply for the permit. Reason most often stated:
"Didn't realize it was that much resposibility." I have had a few people in my course, that would not send in the paper work. One was a woman who said she coudn't trust herself to make all those decisions, under stress in a short amount of time. The other was an old country boy who said he would not walk away from anybody that tugged his chain, and he would whup their butts if they had it coming, and was not about to walk away from a fight just to steer clear of the law. So he chose not to arm himself and just keep whuppin them. I thought both people made very good decisions.

------------------
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for "lousy hunter"

Go ahead and get your concealed weapon permit. You never know when the time will arise for you to defend your life or your family against a violent crime. There has been numerous reports of citizens with a concealed weapon permit aiding a police officer in trouble in this country.

------------------
Dang that coyote's fast, but not fast enough!

A nice side benefit in Arizona is that you eliminate any waiting period. Show your CCW and walk out with your purchase, handguns included. After all, you have already been checked out and OKd.

------------------
Critr

fea6c171.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com
Sometimes I feel like roadkill on the internet superhighway!

Back