Varget Velocity

Originally Posted By: tripod3Quote:I called Hornady just yesterday about their 50 gr VMAX slug and Verget. The tech told me from 31.8 to 36.4 grains with their VMAX 50 grainer but to not shoot it faster than "about" 3500 fps because his impression was the jacket might come apart spinning faster than 3500.

Sounds odd coming from Hornady when their Superformance ammo loaded with the 50 vmax is advertised @4000.
The only bullets from hornaday that say that are the super x bullets, they will throw jackets off. I have done so. None off the others have ever exploded in my experience.
I used to get buckets full of different bullets to shoot when I lived less than a mile from the factory. It was good knowing guys on the inside.
smile.gif

Quote:Feet per second and spin rate are totally different. 4000 fps is not 4000 rpm's. Spin rate will be affected by both fps and the twist rate of the barrel.

It is clear there is a difference but he statedQuote:not shoot it faster than "about" 3500 fps

When Hornady factory loads state 4000 fps with 50 gr Vmax.

Quote:The only bullets from hornaday that say that are the super x bullets

I don't see any super x bullets. The Superformance ammo is loaded with their standard 50 gr Vmax for .22-250.

This is getting more confusing, I just can't see what I'm missing here.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Superformance-Varmint/

Originally Posted By: sully2Originally Posted By: joedHas anyone else using this powder sent bullets down range through a chronograph?
Temperature was 62 degrees. For .22-250, most of my manuals show a max load for this powder and the 52 gr Sierra Match bullet to be around 36.0 to 36.5 gr giving a velocity of approximately 3700 fps. My Hornady manual lists somewhere around 35.0 gr as max with their 52 gr bullet. With my CED chrono set at 8 ft from the end of the barrel the best I could do with 36.5 gr was 3450 fps. That's a far cry from 3700 fps in my opinion.

Hate to say this but it states right on the jug itself that 36.5 grains with a 55 grain slug gives 3664 fps..????

I called Hornady just yesterday about their 50 gr VMAX slug and Verget. The tech told me from 31.8 to 36.4 grains with their VMAX 50 grainer but to not shoot it faster than "about" 3500 fps because his impression was the jacket might come apart spinning faster than 3500.

I'd say his impression is wrong. I'm running 36gr of Varget with moly'd 50Vmax's in (2) 22-250's right now. One rifle clocks 3725 and the other clocks 3850. Never had an issue with a VMax coming apart at speeds over 3500.

A friend of mine is having a heckuva time with Varget and his 243.....

But I've had great results with Varget in my swift. 36.5gr and a 55 gr Vmax (load per hornady book), with a 26" barrel and 1:12 twist shot 3680 fps through a crony, and it was a cold day.

I'll take accuracy over speed any day. At 3500 fps or 3700 fps is not that big of a deal. The time of flight for a 52 grain bullet at 500 yards at 3500fps is .622 of a second and at 3700fps is .584 . I think you should be ok.
Chris

Back