Has anyone ever hunted with a blow gun?

the noobie

I was watching a top shot last night and it was the one with the blow gun challenge. I have a small bore .40cal blow gun and its fun to shoot then i got thinking.

Would it be possible to hunt squirrels and gophers with a big bore air gun? biggest concern i can see is you need to have some good lungs to even get your dart to hit close, and then i dont think they would die so they would just run off and run back in their hole with your dart still in them.

What about pigeon control? think a pigeon would die after being shot?

I've shot several starlings in my basement with a blow gun before I bought a pellet gun. Occasionally they would come in through the chimney thimble. When I shot it a lot I could Robin Hood my darts and would have them stacked 3 deep at times from about 20'. The starlings I shot didn't go down easily and it seemed less than lethal on their small frame. I was lucky enough to get one through the head for a faster kill, but starlings moving around make a small target much less shooting for heads. I think they would be better killers if tipped with a fast acting poison, but that is illegal here. I think it would be tough to bring down a pigeon ethically.

Last edited:
I did see a video of a guy that hunts rattlers with his blow gun then he takes their fangs and gets all the venom out. dips his dart in it. he then went rabbit hunting and it killed them pretty quick. my only problem with this is #1 i hate snakes and im not sure if ive ever seen one up here, #2 dont think it is legal, #3 i hate snakes.

I guess ill stick with my .22 but im always looking for a new and challenging way to hunt squirrels so if anyone has any im open to ideas. If i knew it would ruin arrows i would use my bow with rubber blunt tips but arrows are a bit to expensive.

Get Flu Flu arrows, they don't go as far. They knock the crap out of squirrels. Sling shots with ball bearings are fun too. You hit one with a good wrist rocket and he'll know it. I'm thinking I need to go through my .22 pistol phase again soon. Nothing like handgunning critters responsibly. What ever you use, practice first and make sure you're lethal.

Wonder if the guy using snake venom ever inhaled too much or got a little poison backwash, that would be rough
tongue_smilie.gif

I have shot a ton of small game animals with my bow...i use the montec SGH heads and they work very very well. I would say at least 15 rabbits, a rattle snake, a quail, and easily 10-15 squirrel

I cant shoot froo froo arrows out of my compound because its got a Whisker Biscuit rest but i do have my grandpas old recurve it only shoots at 45#-55# i forget which but i think it could do a great deal to squirrels and it will be a good challenge to get accurate with it

I have taken squirrels off the bird feeder which is 3 yards from the patio door with my blow gun. They can take a track before they drop. Had one in my basement one time (dryer vent) that got above the suspended ceiling. I was able to spot him from three tiles away and sent a dart in his direction. After he rolled and came to a stop, I lit him back up and there he was with the dart in his head, he and the dart were covered in dust and cobwebs and he was just sitting there looking at me. Had to break out the pellet gun and finish the job.

Ive killed lots of frogs and starlings with my .40 cal blow gun.

We'd weld exacto blades on the heaver type dart. Dose some nasty damage compared to the regular tips. And Fowl you have my avatar not cool.... haha

~Bryan

the recurve you have is more than enough for small game. alot of whitetails have been taken with a 45lb recurve and elk with a 55lb bow. it may not have the distance of a compound but the power is there.

Originally Posted By: iLOVEthehuntFor getting enough velocity, you could just get a co2 cartridge with a valve and fire away.

Gotta link for one of those valves. I'd like to see that.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: iLOVEthehuntFor getting enough velocity, you could just get a co2 cartridge with a valve and fire away.

Gotta link for one of those valves. I'd like to see that.
lol.gif
you can look up how to mak an explosive air release valve on youtube and fire with compressed air or co2.

I have a .50 cal blowgun that, like arcorey, I could robin hood darts with. The little wire darts are fun to target shoot with but I wouldnt try and kill anything with one.

I would take bamboo skewers, you can get 100 for like $2.00, and find the straightest ones to make hunting darts using a piece of tin can cut to a broadhead and paper rolled into a cone, glued on the end of the dart. They would zip right through a mouse leaving good hole for blood trailing
smile.gif

lol.gif

Forgot to add this i got some darts this past weekend, shot them a little bit (missed my moms wax candle and stuck one in the wall, dad laughed and mom squealed and took the blow gun away after she noticed i was shooting the candle and hit the wall)

They are tricky little buggers to learn to shoot but its kinda fun.

Back