New 53gr V-Max Loads

binnowing24

I'm wondering what is a good starting load for 53gr v-max in a 223 would be...How many grains of Benchmark, BLC-2,or Varget

Last edited:
Sorry I have the same question.

What loading data are you guys using for the new 53gr V-Max?

I called Hornady and they said just to use the 55 V-Max data???

In a 223 bolt.

Kevin.

Last edited:
Do what I did: splurge on a box of the Superformance ammo, wrap a bag around your kinetic bullet puller (if so equipped) and separate away! You can buy the Superformance powder now.

I hear it groups really well.

PS - Haven't gotten to the separating part yet...
blushing.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveAThe Superperformance Powder is not to be used in the .223 according to Hornady. No data is available.

That's interesting. Would a different powder be used in that ammo? I just made the leap of faith that the Superformance powder is in the Superformance Ammo.

From what I have read I believe there is going to be another Superformance powder some time in the future to cover the .223 and others. Meanwhile Allient has some new powders on their sight to cover the .223. I don't know abot availability yet. Midway stocks them, but I don't know how else has them yet.

I'm blasting mine out at 3600 from my 26"-barrelled AR 223 AI using a case full of Varget. Workin' great so far, keeping .5-1 MOA out to 500 on the calm days.

what would the difference in the COAL? what would be good starting and this is for a bolt...can't go with the 55gr data cause its longer

IF you own several reloading manuals, the data is there for a 52 or 55 bullet, and start at the minimum load for those and work up.

Since you posed the question, I wonder if you have the manuals...?

The data for 55gr VMax should always be safe.....And I highly doubt that even though Hornady released "superformance" powder....that it's the same powder they load in that line.

I just tried some 53gr V-Max today. Wow, I like them!!

First five, 26.0grs H4895 cci primer, .705" group @ 200yrds

Second five, 26.3grs H4895 cci primer, .647" group @ 200yrds.

I have not checked the velocity's yet but I'm sure they are pretty fast as the 55gr V-Max with 26.0grs H4895 is 3384

I just tried one load with Benchmark so far and it wasn't as good. I'm going to work on that as well as Varget. I don't really know why because I'm quite happy with those results just for a hunting gun.

Savage model 10 predator 223 1-9 twist, Vortex 4x12

Kevin.

Back