CCI BR primer ????

Kevin R

This may be a dumb question but....

Can benchrest primer's have a negative effect on a load?

I have a great load for my 223 with 53gr V-Max and standard CCI primer's.

I thought I would try the CCI BR primer's and my group openned up a fare bit????

Also, just out of curiosity. I have 26.0gr of H4895 with the 55 V-Max,CCI primer at 3384fps.
I also have, 26.3gr of H4895, CCI primer and the 53gr V-Max at 3384fps.

Why would the 53gr be the same velocity with more powder and lighter bullet then the 55?? Or my Chrony isn't right??

Thanks

Kevin.

Originally Posted By: Kevin RThis may be a dumb question but....

Can benchrest primer's have a negative effect on a load?

I have a great load for my 223 with 53gr V-Max and standard CCI primer's.

I thought I would try the CCI BR primer's and my group openned up a fare bit????

Every time you switch a component you should (for safety) back your powder down 10% and start your load again.

The thing about the BR primers is that they ignite more consistently. You will notice your extreme spread go down with these types of primers. Unless you are truelly shooting bench and want to get the extreme spread down then use them. If not I see no reason to switch primers if you have a great round to begin with. It is not that it is not a great primer just that it is different.

I too switched a load from CCI 400 to Rem 7 1/2 and it was not as accurate after the switch as well.

Never had it happen to me. In fact before the great "primer debacle of 2008" I bought up thousands of CCI BR-4 primers. Its all I use in my small stuff.

I have been using CCI Benchrest primers in both large rifle and small rifle for 2 years now, I swithched to these hoping to help my loads all year long, hot or cold weather. I have not seen groups open since the swithch, I have to chrono my 223 loads when the weather warms up and the snow melts from our range.

According to CCI the benchrest primers are exactly the same as the non-bench rest primers. I was told this by techs at CCI. They said the only difference was that the BR primers go through an additional quality check inspection. And they rate of rejects is higher. Tom.

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADAccording to CCI the benchrest primers are exactly the same as the non-bench rest primers. I was told this by techs at CCI. They said the only difference was that the BR primers go through an additional quality check inspection. And they rate of rejects is higher. Tom.

Really?

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADAccording to CCI the benchrest primers are exactly the same as the non-bench rest primers. I was told this by techs at CCI. They said the only difference was that the BR primers go through an additional quality check inspection. And they rate of rejects is higher. Tom.

I've heard the same story many times. Maybe it's true.

I actually just talked to CCI. I asked him if they were the same. The gent on the phone told me the following after giving me a heavens no.

CCI 400 Standard max and a standard cup.

BR Standard max and a mag "thiker" cup and is held to tighter tolerances.

I also received the following email after talking to them on the phone.

Joe

CCI 400 and BR4 primers are both standard strength of primers, neither is a magnum primer. Primer composition amount and type of primer composition is the same on both. However, the BR4 primer is manufactured to tighter inspection and pellet weight variances to create
a more consistent primer. Also the bottom of the cup is 'thicker' on the BR4 Benchrest primer than on the CCI 400.

Linda Olin
CCI/Speer Technical Services
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501

I shoot the BRII primers a lot not in everything though.Yes the primer can make a big difference or not much at all,just have to try it to know.On black powder cartridge the primers make more difference.As stated they are supposed to be more consistent which is what you are looking for in a reload,that is the main reason for reloading.I think they just weigh them to separate them which you can do yourself and sort into groups if you wanted to.
I just bought some Federal Match primers.I have not used them before.Those that have,did you like them?Could you say which of the two we are talking about you like best?

Last edited:
Back