hornady lnl classic kitaacaccaccuaccuraccuraaccurataccurateaccurate cchcha

hillsidehog

I'm looking to purchase this particular kit. Im wanting to reload for accurate charges with quality loads once found for specific calibers. Not going for volume. I'm new to the reloading world. I find this to be an attractive purchase with the bullets they are giving away. After all the accessories I can have a good start... but is this the rite kit for me. I'm going to load .22-250 mainly, then .308 & .270. Also how many of you recommend the .243 over the .220 swift for coyotes.

Not sure what happened on my topic header, Jus wondering about that particular kit by hornady. Thanks, Matt K.

Last edited:
this is the one i went with for my first kit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=724116
I like this one because it comes with the case trimmer and you will need one so you can trim the necks on your brass. the hornady kit doesnt come with one this one does. the only bad thing that comes with this kit is the scale. it is really sensitive and takes quit awhile to weigh. with either one you get i would upgrade the scale and maybe powder dispenser depending on what you funds are. if you wish to do so i would highly recommend the rcbs chargemaster 1500 especially if you plan on testing a lot of different loads. i will not load without this. it makes testing new loads so much better because i am not trying to adjust the powder dispenser then weighing it and then adjusting it again. with the chargemaster just type in the load and push enter and it spits it out. takes the headaches out of loading and makes it much more enjoyable.

^ that is a dang nice setup!

I bought a LNL classic kit last month and love it! To trim I bought these http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=271467 and the lock stud and just put em in a drill... Its done me well so far!

While I will agree that the powder dispenser and the scale arent top notch with any either of these kits, they arent the worst either. They will serve their purpose well if you dont want to fork out the $ to upgrade. With the volume (pretty low) of reloading that im doing, I cant justify buying a chargmaster just yet...

Long story short.. I think you will be pleased with the LNL kit. If you have more $, there are some upgrades that would serve you well but they arent 100% necessary if youre just gonna crank out a few rounds a month.

the chargemaster 1500 is just real nice for developing load thats what i really enjoy about it. i also like that it weighs everything before i load it. another thing that is nice is the rcbs trim mate for deburing and cleaning out the primer pockets. either way you will be happy. theres always time to upgrade to new stuff.

What's with the crushing of the cases some of these guys are talking about with the new dimension dies. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate all the info, I'm going to look at the 1500 charge master. What about hornadys case trimmer.

are you set on the hornady press just because it comes with free bullets? the way i look at it your going to have to buy a case trimmer so is are the bullets worth the amount you will spend extra on a trimmer?

I don't know anything about all the brands & their qualities. If hornady is of good quality then why not go for it. I would like to go with redding from what I hear for quality but not sure I want to spend that kind of money. I do like to stick to particular brands for some reason. I do also know I'm going to need a mixed bag of accessories to make it all work. I'm Jus fishing for answers with hornadys promotion they have. If its not good I won't waste the money. You get what you pay for rite.

You get what you pay for rite.

Not really, Somethings are worth the money some not, in my opinion Hornady dies are junk, Lyman trimmers are even more junk, RCBS,REDDING,DILLON, are worth the money, if you cant afford these right now buy Lee, at least you get what you pay for. ed PS Stop spilling soda pop in your keyboard . LOL

Last edited:
before you buy for the bullets be sure to check what they are offering, when I bought my stuff I never found any bullets that I really wanted to use. They offer a VERY limited selection for "free". yes that was quoted for a reason...you still have to pay shipping on them. you should be able to find the rebate form here
http://www.hornady.com/promotions/get-loaded

it will list what bullets you can get free with this offer.

if you like that promotion then with rcbs if you spend 300 or more you get a 50 mail in rebate. personally i really like rcbs even though i have the lyman crusher press. rcbs customer service is amazing. i had a problem with a die because i bent a rod in the primer pocket swager die and i called them and they sent me 2 in the mail for free.

I would go with the lee kit. Its $110 if you shop around and comes with everything you need minus the dies. Lee gear is not cheap and nasty, just cheap.
If I had a dollar for everything I have loaded over the years on Lee equipment I would be a happy SOB!
I am not a fan of Hornady at all, and have had quite an unpleasant experience with their customer service.
RCBS, Lyman, Lee are all good upstanding people to deal with if you ever have a problem with their gear (which I never have) they all bend over backwards to help you out, even if its a case of you being a fool and messing something up (yup...happened to me!). I even had a Lee customer service rep trying to help me out with my Hornady problem after Hornady wouldn't if that tells you anything about them.

I bought the hornady lock n load classic and the free bullets were a plus... But this kit is worth more then just the bullets. It's a solid press, digital scale and the case trimmer wasn't that expensive to buy. Especially when you are getting the 500 free bullets. You can't go wrong here, well worth it!

Last edited:
The latest Hornady New Dimention dies are very good quality. My experience with their customer service has also been good, so far. I don't think anybody beats RCBS customer service, but some are trying much harder these days I've noticed.

The seater that comes with the Hornady set is way better than than the standard RCBS seater. I have both brands, as well as Dillon, Forster, and Redding. They all work fine if you set them up properly. I no longer have any Lee dies if that means anything.

If your serious about handloading, buying the cheapest press you can find may be something you will regret later on. If you only load a few hundred a year, and your not all that pickey, almost any press will do.

It'll be a good starter kit for sure. People crushing or having stuck cases are ussually lube problems, first one to much second not enough. I am leery of the spray lubes such as ONE shot that may come in your kit. They seem to work well when new and really shook up, but as they get low in volume sometimes the chemistry doesn't seem to be there resulting in stuck cases. If I could give any new reloader advice ,other then keep it safe , it is to buy a can of imperial sizing wax and simply follow the instuctions on the can.

Back